Is it normal for my 18month old to eat fuzz from his diaper? Is it safe?

wylansmom

Asked by wylansmom at 9:38 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Some kids eat anything so I guess it's normal. But I wouldn't let him do it. .
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 9:42 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Ok, I can't figure out what diaper fuzz is.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:49 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• It's not abnormal; at 18 months kids just put things in their mouths all the time. Are these cloth diapers? If so, I wouldn't worry too much, the fibers will pass through his digestive system. If you're using disposables, put on some kind of diaper cover. I'd worry about the gels and stuff they put in those things.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:56 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Eating ANYTHING not edible is NOT safe. Any parent would know this. I'm not sure if you mean the out side of the diaper, or the inside of the diaper. But if it is the inside of the diaper, (the obsorbant stuff that soaks up pee) If he eats it, then it could swell in his stomic and try to "soak" up all the stuff that is in there. NOT a good thing!
    freakxxshow27

Answer by freakxxshow27 at 10:10 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• While it's completely normal for a 1 yo to explore their world by putting things in their mouth, it's not alright for them to eat non-edible things. Disposable diapers are so full of chemicals, I don't even put them on baby's rear end, let alone let him eat the stuffing. Put a cover on over baby's diaper or shorts and keep telling him "no" when he goes to put something in his mouth he shouldn't be.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 11:09 AM on Jul. 25, 2010