Best breastfeeding advice to give a new mom with sore nipples...???

I had inverted nips and my baby didn't latch right so, I had sore nipple for 2 1/2 weeks--- I don't think that is a "normal" amount of time for sore nipple though...

I got her some "soothies" and she has creams.... any other tips/tricks?

MDT09

Asked by MDT09 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• ice packs & nipple cream were life savers for me!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• agree ice pack and nipple creams
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 9:42 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• tell her to call a lactation consultant, she may need to get some shields to help draw out her nipples.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:47 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i heard air helps too, let them get as much air as possible i wasn't able to nurse i would have given anything to, but when mine were sore when we were trying hard i used lansinoh all the time and let them air out a lot
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 9:55 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Some women are very lucky and have little to no tenderness with breastfeeding. The rest of us, however, have a lot of pain during those early weeks. The pain usually lasts the first 3 weeks. For me it lasts more like the first 4.5 weeks. Either way, you'll be over the hump after you BF for about a month.

As far the inverted nipples, you can draw them out with shields. I had flat nipples and drew mine out with shields easily. Just wear the shields in your bra about 3 to 4 hours a day. My nipples were drawn out in about 3.5 weeks. My dr says it can take up to 3 months. What causes inverted or flat nipples is the ligament that runs from your nipple to the inside of your breast is too tight. Wearing the shields painlessly stretches this ligament, thus drawing the nipple out permanently.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:58 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i would say nipples shields might help, and nipple cream after breastfeeding for relief..

mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 10:00 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Is it her first baby? 2 and half weeks isn't too long for sore nipples. I remember asking my friend how long it would be before my nipples would stop feeling like they were going to fall off, lol. It was prob 3-4 weeks before I could breasfeed with minimal pain.
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 10:17 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I had sore nipples for weeks. I used creams, and pads. He was latching right. When my son was 6 weeks old, I was away form him for 3 days. I was only pumping. My nipples had time to heal I guess, for ever since I've been home and BF again, my nipples have been just fine. THANKFULLY!!!

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:17 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Sorry, the question was confusing... the inverted nipple were ME, and yes I used a nipple shield and yes, it was a godsend... (I think to many LC just pass them out these days those, which sometimes cause more harm than good)....

My BF just had her baby tuesday, she is the one with sore nipples but, she does not have inverted nipples.
    MDT09

Comment by MDT09 (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Yes, it is her first baby... WOW! Almost a month, ik! I hope the pain goes away for her, I feel so bad!
    MDT09

Comment by MDT09 (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Jul. 25, 2010