DVD player for a long car ride

my DD (2) has no interest in watching TV(which i am fine with!), she will maybe watch a min or 2. We are going on a car trip this weekend, I am hoping that she will sleep through most of it we are leaving at nap time. I want t0 find somthing that will help keep her "busy" or as busy as she can in the car. I was thinking about getting a portable DVD player, but do you think its a waste of money since she may not want to watch it? Do any of your children not watch TV but if on a trip will just because they are strapped in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if TV doesn't hold her interest at home, I wouldn't waste the $ on a DVD player personally.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I got a dvd player for my dd, 14 mo recently for a plane trip. I think she watched 5 mins of it! It was a waste of my $$$$. I returned it when I got back.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I think it's a waste of money.  You'll just have to make several stops along the way for entertainment and hopefully sleep along the way.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Could you borrow one? That's what I did when my son was about 2. Turned out that he really enjoyed it so we bought our own for car trips and such.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:01 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't get the DVD player, it does sound like a waste. My son has been great on any long trips we have gone on. Bring a few of her favorite toys and books. If she gets fussy, have the one not driving sit with her and read. And bring plenty of snacks. All those get us through long car rides no problem.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 10:03 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• The portable DVD player is a LIFE SAVER on a long car ride, without it I may as well be in a corner talking to myself.
    DessC

Answer by DessC at 10:55 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• TV doesn't interest my daughter either but she LOVES her movies. She will watch VeggieTales, Barbie movies, all the princess movies, etc. We recently took a 5 hour trip and we brought the laptop with us and a whole bunch of DVDs. It was wonderful. For the most part, we kept it off so she could sleep, look out the window or just play with her toys. But the last hour of the trip was harsh because there wasn't much around us and nothing on the radio. It totally saved our sanity having the DVDs there. I think buying a portable DVD player is a good investment because even if she doesn't use it now, I'm sure she'll use it later.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 12:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• my daughter loves caillou. she doesn't watch much, but she could watch that for hours if i let her. i would say, try to borrow one, or at least consider buying used. and brainstorm other things that might keep her happy in the car (a cd with kids songs, a new toy, snacks, juice, an aqua-doodle).. good luck!!
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 1:11 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My twins love "Your baby can read" during car trips. When they would get bored, we had a dual player and they would watch it. I think they picked up some words off it too but mostly they just love watching it. They really don't stay focused on anything else.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I think DVD players in the car are a waste any way. children and parents survived car trips without them for years! I think leaving at nap time is a great idea you might even want to wake her up early so she is tired and ready for a nap in the car. A snack and cup for when she wakes up and a couple of her favorite toys. a 2 hour trip will be a piece of cake! We drove from Ga to NY with my son when he was 2 and a half. We packed him new toys form the dollar store and even wrapped them in paper. He opened one new toy every couple of hours. We have Sirius XM so the kids station kept him busy to.. He loves the Kid channel. WE also packed a books and a few books on tape. The big one was the Crayola Magic coloring books and markers! Expensive but worth it for a loooong car trip!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:48 PM on Jul. 26, 2010