Hot oil

When I'm cooking w/ oil & pour too much in the pan can I throw the excess down the kitchen sink drain or should it go in the trash? Why?

Nyx7

Asked by Nyx7 at 9:52 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• if the jar is clean you can still use that oil- no need to dispose of it!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I've always heard that you are not suppose to put it down the sink. But I do. I run really hot water and pour the grease down with it. Probably not the best idea.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I heard the same but I do never had a problem
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• yeah i have and still do it alot, but usually you should not, becuase it will clog up your sink, one time i did it to much and my sink seemed cloged so i took the pipes apart and there was so much grease nothing could go thru, so its not a good idea, but i am guilty of doing it....
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• You never pour hot grease or oil down the drain. While it may not congeal in your immediate pipes, it will start to outside (especially in the winter) and then everything will back up. I pour it in a can and when it cool I throw it out. As for the bleach ~ no... it is vinegar, which is a natural degreaser. Whenever I have a kettle on the stove I pour the remaining boiling water down the drain to loosen the goobers up!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:31 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My oldest brother is a plumber and he says pouring grease down the drain is bad news bears even if you follow it up with chemicals or hot water, etc. When I use jar sauce (not often), I wash the jar and save it and then when I have oil to throw out I pour it in the jar and close the lid and put it in the trash.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 11:11 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• *jar (spaghetti) sauce
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 11:12 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• save an old coffee can or jar for hot oil- then let it cool. the sink or the garbage and hot oil are not good.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• use an old coffee can that better
    momromtheheart

Answer by momromtheheart at 3:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2010