Whe do Toddlers stop........

When do toddlers stop putting every freaking thing in their mouths i have a almost 14 moth old and every 2 sec i have to pull a rock,grass, leaves, paper, from his mouth....anything he sees it goes straight in his mouth i'm just annoyed and wondering at what point to they stop this

Admira

Asked by Admira at 10:14 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• my son is 17 months and still does it, but i will have to say we are kinda lucky, because we have always said" can i have that " to him so usually he will bring it to us, but thats only sometimes. i wish it was over too.....good luck momma
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Depends on the kid, some will keep doing it until almost 3...My daughter is two and half, she will sometimes put caps from water bottles in her mouth, or try to put coins in her mouth, but other than that, she stopped putting everything she touched in her mouth probably right around 19 months.
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 10:20 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Mine's almost 15 mo & EVERYTHING goes in her mouth! Going to the park is a pain in the ass cuz every 2 sec I'm chasing her around trying to get her to spit something out. She knows she's not supposed to put stuff in her mouth so now when she sees me she swallows it!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• WHEN I TELL HER YOU CAN THAT SHE BRINGS IT OVER TO ME AND SAYS THANK YOU
    clairemomma09

Answer by clairemomma09 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Okay, here's what I had to do for DD. She has stopped putting everything in her mouth and is 15 months old. He probably has an oral fixation (obviously), so always have a handfull of something to feed him (raisins, gold fish, anything). When he starts putting things in his mouth, tell him to spit it out (if he won't take it out) and then give him something to munch. Also, always keep a teething toy around for him to bite, cuz he might be teething too (prolly is cuz of the age).

Good luck!
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 10:36 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I just tell my 18 month old not to put stuff in his mouth and it has worked. He will stick his hands in his mouth I tell him not too and when I catch him doing it he will it oiut of his mouth and give a sad look.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:41 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• my 20 month old still puts everything in her mouth as well!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 10:42 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Depends on the kid.  My youngest daughter stopped around 16 months and I never had to worry about small toys around her (she was playing with Littlest Pet Shop and Polly Pocket by the time she was 18 months).  But my middle 2 kids still put EVERYTHING into their mouths and they are 7 and 8.  No amount of telling them not to do it has stopped them.  It's a compulsion they can't control and it's very annoying.  My 8yo son learned a lesson the other day.  he had the pen from the DS in his mouth and his little sister accidentally hit him and now he has a cut on the inside of his cheek that really hurts.  Hasn't stopped him from putting that damned pen back in his mouth, though.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:56 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Mine doesn't put as much in her mouth anymore. I still catch her trying to from time to time. Good luck hun.
    lostdarkangel13

Answer by lostdarkangel13 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I don't know. I got lucky my daughter just turned 2 and never really put anything in her mouth. I've never had to worry about small toys with her.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:04 PM on Jul. 25, 2010