Cancelling on a babysitter

I hired a babysitter to take care of Felipe for 9 hours tomorrow b/c I didn't think I would be able to find anyone else. She is not the best. On Friday, when I told her she was hired, I asked her for references. She still hasn't provided them. She also has not been the most forthcoming about her experience. I am hoping to find someone else. BUT - I would be cancelling on her at the last minute if I do.

THE QUESTION: How much do you think I am morally obligated to pay her if I cancel on her at the last minute like this?

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 10:17 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• IF you had hired her through a sitter service, most of them would require at least 2 hours pay for cancelling within 24 hours. However, considering that you asked for information that hasn't been provided, I would say that's not required. But - should you ever need a sitter again on short notice, even if you find out she has sufficient references, I highly doubt she would accept.

Answer by missanc at 12:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• You are not obligated to pay her at all if no services are rendered. Just tell her you no longer require a sitter.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:19 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• You're not obligated to pay her, she didn't do anything to earn the $$$$! If this is a sitter you intend to use again then you may want to consider giving her something to ease her anger @ losing out. From how you describe her I wouldn't let her watch my little one. A phone call & explination of no longer needing her & an apology for the last minute should be enough.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I agree with KairisMama ! She hasn't followed through with her end of the bargain so no need to feel badly about it either.
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I agree, you're not obligated to pay her anything. AND instead of making it about how you have to cancel on her, make it about how she failed to provide requested information. You aren't going to use her because she can't complete a simple task. How can she care for child if she can't manage to put together a basic reference sheet?
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 10:26 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't pay her anything. You are entitled to change your mind. She hasn't been forthcoming with you so I wouldn't even worry about it.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• $0.00
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• You're not obligated to do anything. She has yet to provide references and seems a little shady. I personally would not let her baby sit my children until I had everything I needed to make my final decision. No references, no job.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 10:40 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Babysitting is a job and if you do not do the job you should not be paid for it! If she wanted the job bad enough she would have provided the information you asked for. Do not feel obligated!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• If she hasn't provided you with the information you asked for as a condition of employment, then nothing.

If it was a youngster who you plan on using another time, I'd give her ten dollars.

If it was an adult, then twenty.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:59 AM on Jul. 25, 2010