I want my house to be the house all the kids want to hang out at!

My son always goes to other houses to sleep over and hang out. I always suggest our house but he says there is nothing to do. We have a really nice size back yard but that is all the house has to offer. For the mom's that have the house where all the kids end up at...what is your secret? My son is 12.

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think it's the indoor stuff at this age. The Xbox, WII and stuff like that. My house is too small for all that. So the kids go to others houses. I'm OK with it as long as I know the parents and most of the kids that are going to be there.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I had that house. We had a soccer net in the back yard, a basketball net in the driveway, I had a chest freezer in the garage where I kept freeze pops for the kids. I would occassionally make snacks for them and I had paper cups and drinks available. We had all sorts of sports equipment available to use. The kids were not usually allowed in the house to play, unless it was raining or just too darn hot. But when they were allowed in, we had a video game system, a fussball table and tons of board games.
    It was nice, I think all the moms had me on speed dial.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Trampoline, PS3 or xbox 360, swimming pool? Those are the things that I would go over to someones house for :P
    Also, maybe he's just shy of inviting people over. I know my DH would hardly ever invite kids home when he was in school.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 10:33 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Call the moms of these boys and ask what the kids do over there. We used to have boys come for sleep overs and we would all chat a little with them when they arrived. They liked that we showed interest in them. Also, they loved the fact that I made breakfast for them when they woke up. We had a basketball hoop and video games and we let them have their own space so they could talk and be silly. We would watch TV in our bedroom so they could have the family room to themselves. But we could hear what was going on in case anything got out of hand. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:35 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My house is always filled with kids. Either playing video games, card games, just sitting outside being goofy or larping (live action role playing).... Not sure what the secret is. Maybe because my kids want to be home and their friends want to be with them.
    Have plenty of snacks and drinks on hand and be sure to let them know you're there but don't hover.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 1:03 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Love the question! Our oldest is at the age where he and his friends are trying to hang out more around the neighborhood. I was just telling dh that we need to get a move on becoming THE place to be. lol
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I keep my house very clean, and have child orientated areas! I make homemade snacks all the time, and always have outdoor activities going on! Kids love it over here!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I still have one of those houses, always did, my house has always been grand central station and even after they are adults, my sons friends always come here, they have their own private room to jam, (play their musical instruments) they play pool in our game room and I also have a pool and a huge backyard where they can play anything from football to baseball.
    As children I always made them home made treats. I think what makes that house, is a feeling of being welcome, even if they do make a lot of noise!

Answer by older at 8:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I want to be the house they leave lol! always to many of them over here.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 4:42 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I'm the opposite! I love my kids, but I don't like everyone's kids always being here. They're constantly in and out of here.
    Kissybratzmom

Answer by Kissybratzmom at 7:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2010