If you want a Doula for your birth

If you want a Doula for your birth but can't please post the reason why. If your answer is for financial reasons please post how much you "think" a Doula in your area costs. Please add your area. I'm trying to find out why many mom's who want one don't get one. Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Doula1(cafemom)

doula1

Asked by doula1 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think I'm gonna use a midwife next time around bc 1. my experience with a dr the first time was A.W.F.U.L. and 2. the office/hospital we're switching to has a great program where the drs and midwives work together. I'm not really clear on what the difference between a midwife and doula is? They talked minimally about it at our birthing class. I'm in southeast Michigan.
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 10:39 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I just wanted to post that there are a lot of Moms in my area that cannot afford a doula. We hired a doula for our births. For our daughter, due on Halloween, we have hired a doula for $500. She only accepts cash even though our insurance would have covered some of the cost. Mothers without insurance seem to have the biggest problem going natural in general. There is only one in our area that accepts medicaid and she is affiliated with a certain practice. By the way...I'm in WV.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I live in Indiana, I had a doula at my homebirth and she was great! I think for a lot of people its mainly cost as to why they dont have one. I was 16 when i had my son and insurance refused to cover my pregnancy and delivery. My parents paid for it all out of pocket but i have since paid them back.
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Many Doula's including myself will work on a sliding scale according to your situation and can see if something is workable. It doesn't hurt to ask. Also, payment arrangements can be made. So if your budget is tight don't count yourself out. You owe it to yourself to give a Doula in your area a call and see if something can be agreed upon.
    doula1

Comment by doula1 (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Jul. 25, 2010