At what age would you allow your toddler's to sleep at your inlaws/ family members

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 10:38 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would probably allow her to do that about the time she starts school. Friends houses when she hits 10.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 10:39 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Whatever age you feel that your toddler is ready and you feel you are ready. Some kids are born ready and others have a hard time with it even past their toddler years. And some parents are okay with sending their kids away for a month at a time while others aren't okay with not sleeping under the same roof with them.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:41 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• It depends how far away it would be and if they know the family members well. Plus are there kids there too who they play with/love. Two or three is not too young if they interact with these family members a lot and you live nearby.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:44 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My oldest (he's 5) started sleeping over at Grandma/Grandpa's house and my SIL's house when he was about 1. They'd take him for a night every once in a while. He stayed with Grandma and Grandpa when I had his little brother when he was 2. Both boys have stayed at their house and my SIL's house together. They love getting to have sleepovers. My oldest has already had his first sleepover at a friend's house and his friend stayed over last night.

I don't get this whole making them wait until they are older thing, especially when it comes to family.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 10:45 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My DD has slept over at my mom's once, it was my birthday and hubby and I went out/stayed in a hotel etc. I would let her stay at my moms/grandma's/aunt's... whenever I stop nursing her, which won't be for a while.

My nieces stay at my mom's and dad's all the time... they have stayed at my house too since they were oh, about 3 months. I have a great family, very safe houses/neighborhoods, no smoking, no alcohol, etc.

So, I guess whever you're ready for them to stay away...
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• We live about 20 min away depending on traffic... They have an uncle that is 11 and a dog they love to play with but I don't think there ready but my inlaws have been begging cause they miss them. They just seen them but they would love to have them sleep over.
    Claudiomom

Comment by Claudiomom (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My lil girl has stayed at certain friends house going back to when she was 4 mths old. Guess it really depends on when you feel comfortable in letting them be gone over night.
    lostdarkangel13

Answer by lostdarkangel13 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My son has been staying with family since he was a baby. I don't really see what he problem could be if they're people you trust???

You could always give it try and if it doesn't work, you know he's not ready yet
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Thats your child's grandparents. Unless you have a supervision concern, let them go. Unless you are breast feeding still, I don't see why they couldn't go for a short stay. Its a great way to help them get to know their grandparents and feel safe there too. If something would ever happen where you would need to have somewhere for your child to go, it would only benefit them to have prior experience. Let's say your husband needs surgery or gets hurt and you need to be with him. Obviously your child can't be with you then, so you have a safe and comfortable plan B.

As a grandparent myself, I've raised my children and they turned out great. I love my grandkids and would be very offended if I wasn't allowed a close relationship with those kids. If that was questioned by my DIL or SIL, I'm not sure I could get over that pain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• my son was a couple of months old when he started staying at his mama's and papa's house, he loves it over there. there's so much room to play and run.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 25, 2010