Is it okay for a toddler to have dairy products while running a fever??? HELP!

DD just woke up from her nap and she is running a fever...it's 101.9. My mom says not to give her milk or any dairy products cause it will curdle in her tummy and she will throw up. IS This True?? I'm out of pedyalyte but I have blueberry/pomagranate juice (by V8) can I heavily dilute it and give that to her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes it does curdle and is super gross when they throw up. I think juice is fine. If she starts puking or gets the runs, resort to the BRAT diet. Bananas, Rice, Apples (apple sauce), and Toast.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• They will only throw up if the fever is part of a stomach virus. If there isn't anything wrong with their stomach the milk won't be in there long enough for the fever to curdle the milk. My pediatrician has always told me the calories and protein are more important for them to keep up their strength than the off chance they might throw it up.
    VAMommyX4

Answer by VAMommyX4 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Thats an old wives tale. I always withdrew dairy when my older ones ran a fever, but not with my baby. It doesn't bother his tummy at all.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 4:09 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Old wives tale. Milk "curdles" in the tummy anyway, every time you drink it. It's normal. This tale started because the only time you see what's in your tummy is when you throw up.

A fever of 101.9 is not a large problem in a toddler. Just make sure she gets plenty to drink and let her eat if she wants too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• As long as she isn't throwing up or having diarrhea it's just fine to give milk. Give some motrin for the fever :)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Alot of people say that it is an old wives tale, but my daughter is going to be 3 in december and to this day if she has a slight bit of fever and i give her milk or yogart she throws up ecspecially at night and then she is unconfortable for the rest of the day or night. It all depends on your baby,
    rzurita24

Answer by rzurita24 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 3, 2008