How do I go about changing my toddle from a crib to a bed?

My 2 1/2 DD has learned how to climb out of her crib. So I figure its time to move her to a bed. But I'm not sure how to go about it. I mean how do I get her use to one. Any tricks or suggestions. Thanks

lostdarkangel13

Asked by lostdarkangel13 at 11:19 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• start at naptime. you may have to sit with her until she falls asleep, sit next to the bed on the floor, not in the bed. do that for the first couple of days. OR you can lay her down in it, and every time she gets up, you go in there, lay her down, tell her it's naptime, give her a kiss, leave the room. the second time, go in, just give her a kiss, lay her down. every time after that, just lay her down. don't say anything.

i found it easier to sit with them for the first couple of days. i had a small toybox in there. after the first couple of days they were used to their bed, so i would lay them down a few minutes earlier than usual, and let them get up and play with their toys/ read quietly. sometimes i'd just give them a book. too loudly, and i'd go in there and lay them down. it worked out, they'd crawl in the bed themselves when tired enough, and go to sleep.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• after about 3-4 days at nap time, she should be ready for bed time. you may have to sit with her at bedtime for the first couple of days as well, closer to the floor in the dark might be a bit scary for her. you can gradually move from the side of the bed to sitting next to the door, maybe even outside the door with it cracked. if you decide to keep a small toy box in there when you don't have to sit with them anymore, just remember not to get frustrated. she may play, then cry for you when too tired. you know her cries i hope. if she sounds tired in her cry, let her cry just for a few minutes. she may just fall asleep. if it's hysterics, go in and sit with her, she may still need you in there. some kids take longer than others. I kept their door closed, it was easier on me and them. if you're not comfortable with this, or she can open the door anyway, put a lock over the handle, or just put a gate outside the door.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• seeing mommy may not help them go to bed at all, which is why i recommend you close the door, but you do what you feel comfortable with.

you can keep the crib in the room, or do the work and take it out during nap time. i kept it in the room with dd. with ds, i had to take it out. the first day it took a long time to get him to sleep. the second day, he tried climbing IN the crib lol.( he never tried climbing out of it) so i ended up just taking it out and started him in the toddler bed at nap and bedtime. after 3 days, he was just fine at nap and bedtime.

don't worry if you get too frustrated and end up putting her in the crib after sitting with her for what feels like forever. it's a progress. the first day, i sat with dd for 2hrs. i'd finally had it. i put her in her crib, left the room, and she was out within 5 min. it's new that i was in there, so she thought it was fun. the 2nd night, i sat with her for 2hrs, got
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:46 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• fed up, and left the room with her in the toddler bed. she was out within 5 minutes. she was tired, but refused to sleep cuz it was fun with me in the room. i was so mad at myself for not even seeing that lol.

Good Luck, and just remember it's a progress. you will get frustrated, but if you be consistant with what you decide to do, it will work!

just remind yourself, this is not as hard as potty training LOL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Well, my daughter just turned 2 and has been sleeping in her daybed since Tuesday night! It was super easy and she loves it. She wakes up much earlier now and comes in and wakes me up every morning...lol. But she stays in it all night long and for her naps and just comes to my room when she wakes up. Just try it and see what happens...she may just surprise you! I know mine did!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• his crib truned into a toddler bed so i just took off the side and he didn't seem to care, since it was still the same bed.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 5:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2010