Is a chicken pox vaccine really necessary?

My son gets vaccinated, but I can't help but think that the chicken pox vaccine might be a little unnecessary.

I mean, chicken pox were part of being a kid, lol. They weren't even that bad. :)

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:20 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I know the schools here now require it if the child has not had the disease. My oldest got the vaccine and still ended up with pox, he was really sick but the dr. thought is was from the shot rather the pox themselves. My other 3 ended up getting chicken pox(our babysitters kids had them) and even though they were covered....it wasn't bad. They didn't even act like anything was wrong. My youngest had chicken pox at about 4 months old then ended up with shingles when he was about 2. I chose not to get 3 of my kids the shot because of the reaction of my oldest. It just worked out that the others were exposed and got them before the shot was mandatory.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 11:38 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• The chicken pox vaccine, no, it isn't really necessary. I mean it won't hurt the child if he/she gets the chicken pox just a nucense (sp) that most parents (including me, lol so not bashing) try to avoid.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I don't believe it to be neccesary for most people, no.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Nope. None of the vaccines are... My kids are 100% vaccine free and two of the healthiest kids I know.

Chickenpox is NOT dangerous IF contracted as a child, in fact it's healthier for the child to get and fight off... It helps with the building of a stronger immune system. However, contracted as an adult it carries many many added risks such as infertility, brain damage and death... And seeing how the vaccine ONLY protects for UP TO 7 years giving it to your child is in fact putting them at a higher risk of contracting it later in life...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I'd do if to prevent Shingles in adulthood or old age~so people have a really hard time with the chicken pox virus...scarring on faces?
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:23 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• No, it's not really necessary. This is more of a vaccination for convenience. My kids both got it. After hearing stories about having 3 kids with chicken pox at the same time, from my mom, it was an easy decision. We still say no to flu shots though.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:45 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• IMO, it isn't necessary for young children. There is no point except to try to prevent the disease. As my sons' pedi says, it CAN cause death but it was between 50 and 200 kids that would die from it annually before the vaccine (and that is from across the whole USA). Plus they don't really know how long that vaccine is good for. I would rather my sons get the disease and most likely have lifelong immunity since it is generally not a bad disease.

And getting the chicken pox (or the vaccine) does not give you immunity against shingles. That is a 'separate' virus. It is the same virus but different. That is why there is now a shingles vaccine on the market for the elderly. The chicken pox and shingles are two difference diseases.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:52 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I guess in one sense it seems silly, I mean everybody I knew growing up had it and they were all fine. Chicken pox is easy to get over for most children but adults who have never had it especially pregnant ones can have horrible complications. SO I guess in another sense it is good to just prevent it from spreading. IMO My kid may come out of the chicken Pox only missing a few days of school and no complications but there is no guarantee that everyone he spread it to would be just as lucky.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:52 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Chicken pox and shingles are NOT two different diseases. It just lies dormant in your body for many years and can be reactivated.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/shingles-cause

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Totally unnecessary and not worth the risk.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:18 PM on Jul. 25, 2010