What is the right age for a child to learn how to swim?

I love swimming and my DD loves the water too. I'm wondering what is the best age to teach her to swim.

lostdarkangel13

Asked by lostdarkangel13 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• 4 or 5 ?
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Here in Ohio at the YMCA they start at 6 months. It is awsome for they even put lifejacket on for lesson. You may think putting one on saves all. Well it won't if the don't relax.
    kcsky

Answer by kcsky at 11:26 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• my 11 year old learned gradually. We had him in the water since he was born. We took him to the pool a lot. We played with him in the pool and encouraged him use swimming techniques while playing. By the time he was three, he could swim without having to receive formal lessons.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• baby classes in your arms at toddler time? the fact that black and hispanic kids have a higher rate of drowning does show that classes really do help save kids lives`
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:27 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I'd teach them as early as possible, but I'd go to an instructor. I've seen where people are teaching one year olds how to swim now. I wouldn't do it that early. but I'll probably start at about 3.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:27 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My son is 3 and we haven't started any formal swimming lessons, but I have been working with him so he is comfortable in the water and can move towards the edge of the pool on his own. It really depends on the child's physical development, but it is never a bad idea to help them be come comfortable in the water. Thinking he will start formal lessons next summer, but he is already a fish.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My kids all started tiny tot swimming lessons between 1-2 years, and took them every year til they were tall enough for regular swimming lessons, around 5 years old. It's never too soon to teach a child to swim.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:41 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My daughter started at 4yrs and is now on level 3...the first yr was a little hard keeping her attention but when we switched to private lessons she did great.
    mrzbarnes09

Answer by mrzbarnes09 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• 6 months I dont ever think it is too early for a child to learn to swim
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I taught my 3 older kids how to swim - they were swimming independently by the time they were 3-4 and are very strong swimmers. My 20 month old is learning now - he still needs help but he's not afraid of the water (which is good and bad) and he will kick his legs while i support his upper body across my arm or on a kickboard.

Answer by missanc at 12:14 PM on Jul. 25, 2010