Are any of you caring for an aging parent and does it make you feel stressed?

lizard111

Asked by lizard111 at 11:46 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• We had just finished building my parents a home in SC ~ the day we headed up to PA to move them down here my father passed away at the age of 82. My mom is 78. Providing a safe home for her where I can help when she needs it will likely be stressful at times, but also a joy. 700 miles is too far away to be able to help when needed and my younger siblings still have their own kids at home to care for. I only wish we'd gotten done sooner and that dad was here.

Most of us have parents who cared for us when we were children and gave US a chance to make it in this world. Swapping gears and doing the same for them when they get older is far more than just the natural order of things. I know that every one of us stressed them when we were babies. Using stress as an excuse to shunt parents into a home is wrong. If they are ill and need care that can't be given it's one thing, just not wanting to be bothered is another ~ imo.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• my mom is caring for my grandma- and it's VERY stressful!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My mom took care of my Grandpa before he died for a few years, and it wore her out so bad. I felt so sorry for her.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:56 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I care for two GT fed boys...on my 18th year....I know stress. do you know that study where they show this kind of stress is cellularly damaging~we age at a much fast rate that our non stressed peers....breaks are are not a choice~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:58 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I took care of my dad last year when he was dying of cancer and even with the help of my mom,sis, husband and BIL it was still very stressful
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• my mom is caring for my grandparents...it's very stressful for her...i just remind her that i'm there too, only with 2 toddlers! lol that gives her some encouragment...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Yes it is stressful,very stressful. I cared for my mom,dad & fil. It almost killed me,but it didn't & I became stronger for it. So will you if you have to care for someone you love who is very ill. This is just another stage in your life. Embrace it & go with the flow. Your parents cared for you & now it's your turn to care for them. Just love them & show them you love them!
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I guess I should 'fess up. I was asking because my husband had a massive stroke 4 years ago and I had a heart attack last fall. My children have sacrificed much to help us. They tell us that they are glad to help in any way they can and love us so much they don't mind at all. Sometimes I feel so guilty needing them so much and hope they aren't resentful and just covering up. I just needed some unbiased opinions. Thank you all for your answers.
    lizard111

Comment by lizard111 (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My mom had grandma living with her for about 8 years. YES it was extremely STRESSFUL. Grandma is in a nursing home now a days, and my mom visits often and takes her out shopping and to doctor's appts. It still stresses her out, but not nearly as much.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:57 PM on Jul. 25, 2010