Do you think adopted adults should have the right to their birth records?

Bastard Nation advocates for the civil and human rights of adult citizens who were adopted as children. Millions of North Americans are prohibited by law from accessing personal records that pertain to their historical, genetic and legal identities. Such records are held by their governments in secret and without accountability, due solely to the fact that they were adopted.

http://www.bastards.org/

kerryket

Asked by kerryket at 12:20 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Adoption

• I think they should have a right to know where they were born and who their real parents were. I mean it is just information that everyone should know to have some security in their life.
    GuardianAngel27

Answer by GuardianAngel27 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• No, I do not think they have a right to their records. I spoke to a friend of mine several years ago about this. He was adopted. He does not have an urge to meet his bio parents. He said he looks at it like this--they chose to have him instead of having him aborted. He is grateful for that. He said he is able to live and if he has some medical condition, well then he has it. At least he had some chance at life.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• yes, I think everyone has the right to know where they are coming from,, the truth about their past..

mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 12:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I think the rights of the bio parents are just as important as the rights of the adoptive parents. I think records should be made available concerning health info, but not personnal info about the bio parents, unless they agree to release it.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I was adopted and my half brother went to court to have his records unsealed there was nothing there and they told us this was because my parents either died or had criminal records so sometimes there is something even more to it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I think that being adopted yes u should be able to have those records. I mean if u go to the doc with any type of problems one of the first things they ask is ur family history. So for those of u who dont think u should have those what happens if u have an uncommon disease in ur family history and the doc doesnt figure it out until its to late because its not a common thing to check for. In some cases i think ur records are very much important to ur well being.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I think when you ditch someone or give them away when they hit 18 they have the right to meet the parents and to see where they came from. Privacy for such an act of cowardice? Maybe I am just talking about my own parents but I am not the only one feeling this way.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I think that they have a right to a complete medical history, and this should be a part of the formal adoption paper work. I also think that if you produce a child, and send them out into the unknown to be raised by strangers, you should have the decency to allow them to search you out.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Of course they should have a right to THEIR info. Some states allow those records to be unsealed, I recently ordered my son's BC, assuming I would get the amended one. He is my bio child, adopted by husband in a stepparent adoption, I was sent the BC without my husband's name on it. GA does open records on request, I can have my son's adoption records open now and he is only 8 but, I don't see a point in it. He knows all of his family and the story behind the adoption. Adoptive parents could also INSIST on having the Original BC for the child even if it just says Baby Boy Smith. Even adopted children are given a BC with their natural parents names on it, it is just changed by a judge. I think there is a lot of reforming that needs to be done in the adoption laws but, right now no one wants to think about that.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Yes, of course.

Lay- I'm not sure how the fact that your adopted friend doesn't want the records is an argument that nobody should be able to have the records. Just because he doesn't want them, we should not let others have them? Really? And it's not about just knowing that you are going to have some medical condition or not. It's about knowing what to look for or if you should live a certain way. Like if there is a history of diabetes or a certain kind of cancer, you would want to take preventitive measures and get screened earlier and more often to make sure you catch it early. Or also, what if a scary childhood disease runs in the family, you would want to know as a potential parent so you could decide whether or not you even wanted to concieve children and if you did, what to look for and how to deal with the disease or disorder. What about just being able to donate blood or organs?
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2010