Is it normal for a 20 month old not to talk?

My son is 20 months and not talking yet. He will use weird noises to tell me what he wants or points to something and whine. I got flashcards, educational videos, I tell him what things are, but still nothing. He understands what I am saying and has very advanced motor skills but I am still concerned. Should I be worried that he may have a learning disability?

GuardianAngel27

Asked by GuardianAngel27 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is learning that if he communicates in other ways (pointing, whining, etc), then he gets what he wants, and doesn't have to learn how to say the words. Children won't learn how to communicate if you don't give them the opportunity. Try making him say the actual word before giving it to him. Obviously, use your best judgment when doing this. Don't starve him by withholding a meal simply because he won't verbalize his needs. But if he wants a cookie as a snack or something, try to get him to say it before giving it to him.

If he's still having problems in a couple of months, bring it up with his doc.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 12:40 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't be worried, but I would definitely call early intervention in your area and get an evaluation, at least for your peace of mind if nothing else. If they find no delay, then no problem. If they do find a delay, at least you're catching it early and can get him involved in some speech therapy (it's free through early intervention) to get him caught up as soon as possible!

Answer by missanc at 12:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Its possible that he isn't hearing like he should be...has his hearing been tested?
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 12:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• He could be very intelligent and if he can't hear well...that would put him behind in talking.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 12:27 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I don't think you should worry, the range of normal development varies and boys are usually slower talkers than girls. Btw, more than flashcards or videos, just reading to your child is the number one language developing tool. Consider the hearing thing, if he can't see you and you speak, does he respond? Possiblely get his hearing checked and if he still isn't talking at 2 years, talk to your doctor and he can refer you to a speech therapist. If you want to go to a speech therapist sooner instead of waiting, I don't think anything would be wrong with that either.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I would bring it up at his two year checkup with his doctor. Some kids develop the speaking early, some develop the motor early. My daughter was talking at 4 months, but she didn't crawl until 9 or 10 and didn't walk until nearly 16 months. :-)
    I'm not very familiar with learning disabilities, but I have some family that has some. Most of them couldn't understand much either.
    Good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I would go overboard on the "broadcasting", giving him space to repond. Even have a little chat with him about talking and words coming next for him and that he needs to say words too. Even ask him to copy you. If he wants something..."I hear you are asking for this...time to try words..I (ask him to echo I) want (see if he can copy that sound) it...I want it...yep! that just how to say it! soon you will get it~

you are now his speech therapist...he needs to start using sounds (instead of noises) to get stuff. Wait for it. Give him lots of time. talking is copying and exchanging....sit with him legs apart and across from him and pass a ball between you (feet touching so the ball can't get out)...you pass it to him....he needs to roll it back...add a sound when you pass it to him "Boo" and see if he can add that same sound and roll it back"...

if he isn't making change in two weeks~evaluation time!
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:36 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Every child is different and I wouldn't worry. I don't think you have to go out of your way either to get your son talking..he will in his own time.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Thank for your quick responses. He is actually having a 21 month check up because the doctors were a bit concerned about him because he wasn't walking until he was 16 months, like Kiwismommy19's child. He was late crawling, walking, and it is no suprise he would be late talking. I did ask other people when their children were talking and everyone told me 12 months or earlier, which made me even more scared.
    My mom actually think it may be his hearing because sometimes it is like he doesn't even hear us, so that may be an issue. I will for sure consult his doctor with that concern. I really apperciate you all giving me this infortmation and responses, it helps just to talk to other mothers. My mom just makes me worry more, haha.
    GuardianAngel27

Comment by GuardianAngel27 (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• einstien didn't talk until he was 3 ;) don't worry mama. you could try taking a sign language class. studies say it encourages communication and helps kids bridge the gap between not talking and talking. good luck!!
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 1:00 PM on Jul. 25, 2010