How to you let your children know you are proud of them?

I think it is important to let your family know when you are pleased with something they do or have accomplished. What are some ways that you give your kids a "pat on the back" ?

minasmama6

Asked by minasmama6 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I look in their eyes when I tell them (so it is not just something I am saying in passing but taking the time to stop what I am doing to recognize their good work). Also, let them overhear you bragging about their good deed to others. This shows them that you think whatever they do was important enough to be shared with others.

Some kids need encouragement to try new things (they are shy). Here are some confidence/self esteem books http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=17   Then recognize them (shown above) for taking a first step in trying something new or doing something new. 

momjs

Answer by momjs at 5:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I simply tell them with a big smile ! and I just love to watch them go about their business with a big smile on their face !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I tell them I'm proud of them and I literally give them a pat on the back.

They get lots of hugs and I will talk proudly to other people about their accomplishments. My kids are young so they still appreciate hugs and praise.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I tell them! all the time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• This is such a good, mommy-type question! I love hearing about the good things mommies do. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I usually just tell her I'm proud of her, then ask if she knows why. It's cute, she'll come up with some of the most off the wall things. :-)
    I always make sure she knows I'm proud of the choices she makes.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I just tell them all the time!
    lilpunk77

Answer by lilpunk77 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Thanks, it is so easy to find fault in our kids, but I think they need to know when we are happy about something they do too.
    minasmama6

Comment by minasmama6 (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My daughter is only 2, but I praise her when she does good things and I'm always kissing and hugging her.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I tell them every day that i'm proud of them! I always tell them why I'm proud of them too, so that they know it means something. I think it is so important for our children to not only know we're proud of them, but for them to take pride in themselves as well.
    WordSmyth

Answer by WordSmyth at 6:28 PM on Jul. 25, 2010