My SO is jealous...

My SO and I have been together on and off for the last 6 years. Well as of April we were back together and things are great. We're even working on getting an apartment for the four of us. Well we were out playing pool and a friend who had moved away came by to see me and all the sudden he was WAY more affectionate. The whole time. My SO has never acted jealous before and has never had reason to. He's the only guy I see that way and he knows it. So now I'm confused. Did I do something? Why the sudden change? Is it a good change or should I be worried?

ExenoRainbow

Asked by ExenoRainbow at 1:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• It's possible that it's because this guy friend is a long time friend. That this is a guy you've known for a while and it makes your SO feel a little insecure. You two have had your ups and downs, so when a guy that you've known for years comes along it could make him feel like he needs to prove himself. I wouldn't put anything into it, as long as being more affectionate is as far as it went.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:41 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I'm guessing this friend is a guy? Maybe being off & on the past 6 years makes him feel a bit worried about the stability of y'alls relationship, making him feel threatened sometimes. It's normal for everyone to get jealous sometimes, especially if there is a history of instability in the relationship.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:27 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I agree - it is insecurity. Men feel the need to protect their territory by "marking it" - just like dogs. When another male comes around, he lets him know that you belong to him by putting his arm around you. It is a nonverbal way of saying, "Back off! This is my territory!"
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• That is also a sign he feels out of control so putting his arm around you is showing his insecurities. You should be able to have any friends you want. I would be rethinking this relationship and if this was a one time thing or a permanent thing. GL Momma

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Yeah, He's been the one leaving and I was the one who "stayed loyal" (his words) even when we were apart. But in all this time he's never been jealous of any of my guy friends. Does he suddenly care more or something.. I just don't get where this is coming from. =/
    ExenoRainbow

Comment by ExenoRainbow (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2010