Can putting your arms directly above your head cause the babys umbelical cord to become wrapped around the neck?

A couple of ladies told me that and I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this.

Danielle55

Asked by Danielle55 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't think so...
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• No. That is just a myth. I don't know why people make up things like this to scare new mothers.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I always heard that while pregnant. That and the act of sweeping and mopping would wrap it around too. I asked the doctor and he said they were both myths, just old wives tales.
    I tried to tell my coworkers that, but they still insisted on doing all the over the head stuff, sweeping and mopping. I didn't argue. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I don't think it's true....However when I was pregnant with both my kids I never slept with my arms above my head...I was alittle scared it might happen...
    lil_Army_Wife05

Answer by lil_Army_Wife05 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• no. it's an old wives tale. many babies are born with the cord wrapped around and it is usually no cause for concern. babies don't breathe through their necks until they are born, so it's not an issue until then.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:36 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Wow thats the first time I have heard that hm. LOL
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• never heard that before, i doubt it's true because if it was don't you think your OB would advise you not to put your arms above your head?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• well, it's flat out not true, but it's a good way to make your hubby mop for you.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• No but it does lower the babies heart rate when you put your arms over your head. I have two little boys and both pregnancy during labor when I put my arms up there heart rate would drop
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 2:15 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• no old wives tales
    Prego889

Answer by Prego889 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 25, 2010