How do you make a toddler stop screaming?

If my neice doesn't like something she screams. If she wants something she screams. What can we do? She does it all day and its a piercing scream!!

JocelynWilliams

Asked by JocelynWilliams at 1:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my 3 year old wants to scream I place her in her room with the door shut. I tell her if she wants to scream like that she can do that in her room alone, with no tv or toys! After all she will come out and tell me she is sorry. It works well for us.
    Now if we are in public I will tell her once we are home she will have time out alone in her bedroom for screaming in public.
    Good luck...
    lil_Army_Wife05

Answer by lil_Army_Wife05 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My son isn't a big screamer...but when he gets going there is no stopping him. Talking to him, ignoring him, trying to redirect him....nothing works. He woke up at 4am this morning having a tantrum because he didn't want to go back to sleep, but he was so tired. He screamed for about 30 minutes and then I finally decided to turn on the TV and he was out in like 5 minutes so I guess sometimes it is just whatever works. Honestly I don't know any sure-fire ways to make them stop, but I really want to see what other mom's say.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• THats when its time for a time out for mommy...an escape..even if its sitting on the back porch steps alone.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 2:05 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• hey if you find a way to make it stop...let me know.... my son is screaming all day he is 17 months old.. if i walk away he screams if i dont watch what he wants he screams, all day everyday...unless hes sleeping haha
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I send my LO to her room for tantrums, screaming and whining. I tell her she can come out when she is done. This generally works and it does take some time for them to calm down but sending them away lets them know that you aren't going to put up with the crap. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:08 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• that is the hardest of ones to stop~dang. cover your ears...more decipils than an airplane taking off. you almost need to wait it out or change her environment. she is getting something out of it...it might be a brain flood of endorphines~

now she seems to be using it as auditory striking out~you can say stop...but you can't make her like most other behaviors. I would just say too much noise for my ears and cover them. you need to find another way to say no or I don't like that...doesn't that hurt your ears? too much! bring it down..too much.

If she can't change it~"I need to move you away~too much~can you bring it down..try...shhh...like this...softly..can you do it?"

you might need to "go princess" on her and talk really softly and sweetly saying "quietly we get our wishes...softly"

she might need more sleep~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:10 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I told my son when he tried that "You don't get what you want until you stop having a fit." and I would walk away. He'd throw his fit at first, but after a while he'd realize that I wasn't giving in. Yea, it can be very frustrating to listen to her scream, but if you give in to that behaviour then she's going to continue to do it. Talking her through it won't help, because she wants the attention for that beahviour. Just tell her "When you're done we'll discuss getting what you want." and walk away. When she's done go back to her and try to talk it out with her while she's calm. If she storms up again, then walk away. Don't give in to that behaviour.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• all the people around her need to ignore her. she needs to learn that isn't how you get what you want. after she's all screamed out, someone can talk to her and show her the proper way to go about getting something she wants, but as long as she's screaming, she doesn't exist ;)
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 3:19 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Teach her not to scream when she wants something. It's conditioning. If you try to calm her down and talk to her, and teach her she will learn to ask properly, otherwise she doesn't know any better.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• thanks to all they helped we will try somethings!!
    JocelynWilliams

Comment by JocelynWilliams (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Jul. 25, 2010