My 7 month old is having an allergic reaction to eggs.

I called a nurse line and they said if it gets severe or she can't breath to call 911. Should I take her in anyway? She immediately developed a rash on her face and neck, and a little on her chest and arms. She is otherwise very happy. I gave her a bath and put her down for a nap. Her dad is in there while I look up info on the comp and decided to ask on here for any information I may need to know.
Yes, I do realize that eggs in an allergen. It's the first food my mom gave me and my 4 siblings (at 6 weeks, bread dipped in runny eggs), and my son loves eggs. There are no egg allergies in either my or her fathers family. My son gave her a little piece of his eggs and I thought it would be fine. She couldn't have gotten very much, maybe a couple little pieces. This was an hour and half ago. I know I made a mistake so please don't waste your 'breath' if you're going to give me anything other then constructive advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would take her to the ER just to be safe. All people take allergic reactions differently so it is really hard to say what could be going on with her.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• At this point, if it's only a rash, the ER will probably not do much for you. In fact, if you go to a hospital where they triage people, she will be there for hours if all she has is a rash. Keep a close eye on her in the mean time.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• As long as she is breathing fine I wouldn't worry about it. I would however call your ped on Monday and take her in for a RAST test. They will draw her blood and test for the most common food allergies. We had one done at 18 mos and my LO has a slight allergy to most everything they tested for with eggs being the worst and peanuts not far after that. I discovered the peanut allergy like you by letting her taste it while I was making Christmas cookies. I hope that she starts to feel better soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:14 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Just watch her breathing. A rash isn't worth a trip to the ER. However, understand that each successive reaction is usually worse.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:18 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I agree with the above answers. A rash really doesn't warrant a trip to the ER. You could consider taking her to an Urgent Care clinic if you're worried, or maybe call your pediatrician's office to get the doc on call to call you back. The doc might tell you to give her Benadryl, but he would have to give you the proper dosage for her weight.
    bluejupalex

Answer by bluejupalex at 2:21 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• She needs to be given medicine like benadryl if she's developing an allergic reaction. You can't wait to to treat an allergic reaction.
    It doesn't matter how much you gave her for full blown symptoms to take place. Her throat could close up if she really is severly allergic.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I found out my baby boy was allergic to eggs at about 7 months also and he would get the rash, become very lethargic.but after an hour, he would come out of it. We would tell my mom not to feed him eggs, but she would forget. it only happened two times, but that was enough to scare us not to leave him with my mom for awhile. When he got older, 5 or 6, his allergy to eggs went away. Just don't give her any more egg products, and if she's breathing okay, you shouldn't have to take her to the Dr.
    mrs2323

Answer by mrs2323 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 26, 2010