i am concerned about my one month old son. he will be 2 months next week. he does not sleep at all. read below for more info.

my son does not sleep well at all. i know he will sleep as long as an adult would because he is a baby and he has to eat every 2-3 hours and so on. but after we feed him he stays awake for another 2 hours before he goes to sleep. and then throughout the day he will only sleep for about 20 minutes here and there. last night my son was awake from 9 pm to almost 4 am in the morning. we tried everything with him. but cried and cried. then he woke this morning and he is still not sleeping. any suggestions? could he be sick?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe not sick but I would contact your ped for suggestions. Babies with colic and reflux cry and don't sleep well. Check with your doc and when you get it sorted out You will LOVE your baby as well as LIKE him.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:11 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My youngest child was up every two hours day and night for months.......I felt like a zombie........ just how some babies are.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 2:14 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My daugher didn't sleep a lot as a baby, either. She's two and half now...She still doesn't sleep much. Her doctor is unconcerned about the issue because she has energy, she eats, she plays, talks, runs, laughs, etc. Her "lack" of sleep is not negatively affecting her. (*I*, on the other hand, have spent 3 years now EXHAUSTED.)

Your son should have a dr's appointment coming up next week, voice your concerns. If you're that worried about it and don't/can't wait until then, take him in now.
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 2:14 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Sounds like he's uncomfortable for some reason. Some babies do not sleep like other babies, which is the usual all day and up all night business. (Not fun for anyone) However, it sounds like there's a reason your son isn't sleeping. It could be that his formula (if he is on Formula) could be upsetting his stomach. Either causing gas or just a general upset. It could be that he isn't comfortable where you're putting him down to sleep. My suggestion is to run this past your Pedi and see what they think.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Could he be gassy? After you feed him, do you leave him propped up in a bouncer, swing, or on a pillow for about 20-30 minutes? Is he burped often and several times? These things might help. If he's laying down after being fed, he may be gassy and babies can't burp on the own. Mylicon Infant Drops aka Baby Gas-X can be used after every feeding. You can even put it directly in the bottle if the baby is on formula. If breast-fed, just give it to him after he eats. I'd be interested in what they doctor says.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:24 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• He's just super TUNED IN
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 2:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• are you able to sleep with him? he may need the comfort of you, even for his naps. i have my fifth child now, and none of my others slept as much as this little one...so all babies are different. do you have a rocking chair? maybe you could rock with your baby?
    Good Luck, and Congratulations!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:39 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I know he is getting older and it is hot some places (so cold here right now)..wrap him up with his hand up under his chin, maybe put a soft hat on him. he doesn't sound over stimulated, but it sounds like he isn't state changing..he is staying in quiet awake state too long. I would notice his states and maybe help him shift...make sure he is getting to the active awake state with a bath, engaging diaper change, bath massage....
    and him waking without going thru all the stages of sleep..that is maturation and helping him try to go back to sleep (no diaper change, head contacting something, feet able to push off something, sometime up around their face~their hands, part of blanket, suckie, your face or cheek, your hand...

he just sounds young still~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• have you tried putting him on his belly? my DD was the same way but a couple nights ago I put her on her tummy she slept for a good 6 hours through the night. So this is now how we sleep.
    SavanaF.

Answer by SavanaF. at 3:45 PM on Jul. 25, 2010