How do I handle a toddler who seems ADHD, but cannot be diagnosed?

seen docs before and his issues are blamed on me without them blaming me.

momof1brat

Asked by momof1brat at 2:17 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well based on the little bit of info you have given I would say to look at his diet & try to cut down his sugar & or caffiene intake if he has any in his diet, Also look at his sleep habits. does he get the reccomended amount of sleep for his age...11-12 1/2 hours in a day either at night or in combo w/ naps. Those are the 2 easiest places to start to make changes if any are needed. I know if my son doesn't sleep enough he bounces off the walls.
    Marissa823

Answer by Marissa823 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• It is near impossible to diagnose a toddler with ADHD... if you do think it is, try diet and behavior modification techniques. There are many different ones out there, it is all you can really do for a child that age any way, you wouldn't want to put them on meds... they are way to young and their minds are still developing at massive levels.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• See, I refuse to let him have hardly any caffiene, and he DOES get naps. We have started football now, SO I am HOPING that him running of his EXCESSIVE energy might help me. He seems to have a TON of energy and he RARELY gets any sugar. It's just confusing as spit, b/c it makes no sense. LOL. We are seeing a therapist to see if we can recorrect some things and give him a little bit of direction possibly.
    momof1brat

Comment by momof1brat (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Notice if the foods are making any behavioral changes, look up diet for ADHD children. Be patient. You could try the behavioral modification methods recommended for children with this disorder. Give it time. It may just be issues that resolvethemselves as the child gets older.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• micro manage him~now it is about you. high protein food choices, no calorie in drinks unless it is milk (protein), two cut up fruits offered each snack or meal, whole grains when possible like in toast, pasta, rice. Make time for rest twice a day (help him state change and not over do his active awake state).

Make time for focused one on one teaching~ a few mins 4 times a day at first. puzzle, a quick table top activity like find the hidden stuff, color, lets count moms money, lets count fruit.

Start making him answer auditory questions to earn his favorite stuff like TV or leapster (my kids have to for Wii time)...what is your favorite fruit? f- r-u-i-t- I spell out loud really early..broadcasting it out loud~simple words and only at our small teaching moments thru out the day. You are getting that ear and auditory processing engaged~hear to learn which is harder than see to learn in some kids.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Maybe he is like my son, and can't stand the argue sessions in the home. I just try to let him be him. Lazy as gum, but I need peace.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 2:35 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Thank You so very much, I am going to give all of these ideas a TRY!!! SUPER thanks to everyone!!
    momof1brat

Comment by momof1brat (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Stick with whole foods; avoid simple grains. Cut way back on, or eliminate meat and diary. www.feingold.org

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2010