Having a hard time, and hard time dealing...

I'm a single mom I have a 5yr old and a nine month old. I have been looking for a decent place to rent for weeks. I'm so sad by the time I get home looking at all these unlivable apartments in my price range that it's getting harder to go back to looking the next day. : ( I need to find something quick so I can enroll my daughter in kindergarten but I want her to be happy where we live and proud of me. I just need some advice or encouraging words I guess..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• what area are you in?
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Why don't you apply for public housing...they all aren't bad places to live ya know. there is one where I live that is just beautiful...you would think they were regular apartments.They do criminal back ground checks on the people there...so its decent good people.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 2:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• oh and a single mommy with two kids your an awesoem mommy , if you were my mom id be super proud!!!!!!!! they might no know or understand whats going on now but eventualy they will realize how much youve done for them hang in there!!!
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Ease up on yourself a bit. You have to make do with what you have and just focus on what you can do to better it. We all have to start out somewhere and you'll be a stronger person down the road for it. We lived in a dump for several years while we worked at getting out of debt, getting hubby's career established and me back to school. One thing that kept me going was to remind myself constantly that I was glad we were going through that stage of life with the kids as small as they were and they didn't pay it any mind. :) Good luck to you!!
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• What a great answer before me, it's nice people are so noticed and appreciated. I know so many out there, it's a darn shame and so hard, so we are all rooting for you!!!. It's as one says with public housing and it is real nice when you get the place. Get it in file and call often to check it out. You're in for a surprise when they call and say........You're in !
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 2:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• *OP* I'm in Idaho... Pocatello area.I looked into housing and the waiting list is over a year long. I am looking in the 450-500 a month range so I can pay more for a better daycare. I know it's not right but I've considered lying and telling landlords to use my ordered child support (that's never paid) as part of my income to make it look like maybe I'm more financially stable ...

mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 2:57 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• and I wanted to stay anon... my day keeps getting better. haha
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 2:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• my friend is right where you are~she says it is so depressing and she is coming home completely defeated. she is using craig's list. I thinking staying in your school district you want is important...getting her in a good school totally would rock. any move in specials? can you pull off a small house? single floor or story would help with you little one.

just know, you can make it anything cute~go for safe. and if you have to go for a shitty place, it is not going to be forever..it is just to start things off~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Op,..........just a quick Q to ya.... Their are some places to let you live on a 2 year plan and will house you rent free until you obtain an apartment. This area here in the section we live has a rooming home for moms/children. {{{It's a good place to both sleep while you look for another apt. It's got a shared kitchen and will let you have your children. }}}}}
    It's very safe, and free. They'll let you live for another 2 years for free in a choice of your own apt. to pay the rent as long as you provide a job check stub and have reason for eviction or something similar. A reason can be abuse, unreasonable landlord(abuse), some problem with the rent/ apt (previous) It's not bad, considering you have all the paperwork ready..... GOOD LUCK.!!!!!
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:03 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Don't feel like giving up. You have two small children that are counting on you. I've done the apartment renting scene with two small children. I'm not going to lie to you and tell you it's easy. Plain and straight out it's not. However, you may need to be a little flexible in what amenities you are looking for in an apartment if you are in a rush to find a specific district you are trying to locate to in order for you to enroll your daughter in Kindergarten. A good rule of thumb for finding apartments is finding a broker that can empathize with you on the fact you do have two small children that you need to find a place for and work wtth you toward that goal.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 25, 2010