Color on your ceiling?

We just bought a place and have been busy painting and that sort of thing. I want to carry the color I've been using for trim and a couple of the walls on to the ceiling. Dh says no, ceilings should always be white because it leaves the room looking more open. He's never actually put much thought into it I can tell you, this is just something his mother has always said. lol Now, mind you the color I want to use isn't anything crazy. The color is called "popcorn" and is sort of a creamy antique white color. Anyhow... just wondering your opinions on the whole color on a ceiling thing?

Jessica157

Asked by Jessica157 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I like it. :-)
    My MIL painted her bathroom a very pretty green color and did the walls in a darker green, the trim and ceiling in a lighter one. It flows really nice. I think it keeps it from looking so boring.
    Just don't go with anything too crazy. The "popcorn" color sounds good. I can tell you from being in BIL's room, if you do the whole room in bright orange, it looks like you're standing in a pumpkin!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I know everytime I walk into a room where the ceiling is a little darker it feels rather dramatic .... which works in houses where the ceiling are a little taller. I also reallly like it when there is crown molding. I'm sure it'll look great as long as the color isn't too too dark. BTW my ceilings are antique white throughout my entire house ... makes it look warmer :) My ceilings go from 14 ft in the living area to 9 feet tall in the bedrooms.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Our ceilings are all white.... same color as our trip.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 3:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• sorry, correction... same color as our trim
    Mel_in_PHX

• I hate painting so I would say no to painting the ceiling.....but white or an off-white/gray would look ok.....
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• All our ceiling/ trims are white.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 3:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• If you want to do it, go ahead.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I doesn't sound like "popcorn" will make it feel like a cave...do it if you want to!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• ours are white, and i think it looks ok
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 4:45 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• ours is white. keep in mind white makes rooms bigger.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 6:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2010