Weird breastfeeding question/issue for a 9 month old

Last night and today she has been sucking EXTREMELY hard, taking like half my boob in her mouth to eat. Um, painful and weird! What in the world would make her do that? So far it was two instances, both on the same breast. Maybe she'll never do it again, but um I had to ask? She did just learn to suck on a sippy cup with a straw, if that is it?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 3:39 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids both did that shortly after discovering sippy cups and straws - - I think it was because they were able to get so much so fast out of the cups, that going back to "breast-speed" made them frustrated. The good news is that they both got over it fairly quick - - I did take them off and say "gentle" any time it started - same thing that I did for the occasional biting to put a stop to that.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My DD did that about the same age as well. Not sure why she was doing it. Maybe it just wasn't coming out fast enough for her. It is weird and uncomfortable though. My DD only did it a few times. Is she getting teeth? Maybe it has something to do with that. Wish I could be of more help.
    luvmybaby

Answer by luvmybaby at 3:43 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Two teeth, more coming i am sure.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2010