Suggestions for transitioning from formula and bottle to milk and sippy cup

I nurse my nine and 1/2 month old in the morning and use formula & bottle the rest of the day. I started using the sippy cup a couple months ago, but it's more a toy than a source of a drink. I've been given the go-ahead by my ped. for Jake to drink whole milk (they did an iron test). I know I don't need to wean from formula until a year, but i assume it takes time and strategy. So can you all give advice/tips on how best to start approaching this transition from formula to sippy cup and milk?

JRB101009

Asked by JRB101009 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First, give him some milk and see if he likes it. If so, then just replace one daily bottle with a cup of milk, after several days replace another bottle with milk, and so forth and so on. If he doesn't like milk, then you can either not worry about it for a while, or try mixing milk and formula in increasing increments (of milk) until it's just milk; i.e., make the bottles 1/4 milk and 3/4 formula, and after several days up it to 1/2 milk and 1/2 formula, etc. I would also use the bottle just for pure formula and put all other liquids in a sippy or straw cup; that will kill two birds with one stone.
    Anonymum

Answer by Anonymum at 3:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• when we introduced the sippy cup, i got the ones with the straws built in. my son seemed to like those better than the regular cups.
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 3:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• mine also prefers the straw... good luck. open the top and let them drink from the cup directly then put the lid on and give it to em
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• straw / straws are cute, they are ez to suck up

or if you hate to clean..>>>>>>> just use those pop up spouts, like the characters juices { they have a doll or toy on top }
    they are like a stub with a hole (like a stub straw, they pop up and you can reuse or recycle )
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I agree with MommytoEthan, and others....get the straw kind of cups. My first son took forever to understand the tipping concept of a sippy cup, now he thinks a straw cup has to be tipped to drink it. For a baby the straws are much easier. And they do make non-spill straw cups. My 9 month old is great at it. I have began adding goats milk to my 9months old formula for about a month now. I would say start giving him a cup all through the day with the formula-milk mixture now, so he isn't identifying milk should only come from a bottle. Start by adding a half oz or an oz at a time. Then by a year he can be almost totally transitioned.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:03 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Only formula in the bottle, never in the sippy. Everything else (milk water) goes into the sippy. When you are done with the formula you are done with the bottle.

Formula is artificial breastmilk and it should come from an artificial breast, not a sippy cup. Sucking on a sippy cup long term can interfere with proper jaw development and cause speech problems.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I had my DD off bottles at 10 months. I took her to Target, held up 2 different cups and she picked 1. After that I bought some similar colored ones and she was fine.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 7:21 PM on Jul. 25, 2010