BPA

What exactly is BPA? And if it is dangerous and causes cancer like some people say it does, why are they allowed to make stuff like baby bottles out of if? What is it that makes it dangerous?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is a chemical used to stablize some crystal-clear type plastics. It can leach out of the plastic and into the fluid in the bottle overtime. Some studies show it can harm. Some show it doesn't. Just like some studies show coffee is good for you and some show it's bad for you. Since there is no clear answer, you have to decide on your own if you want to use a crystal-clear bottle or sippy cup or if you want to use one made of cloudy plastic or glass.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• "bisphenol A or BPA, a chemical used in plastic baby bottles—and many other food and beverage containers—causes genetic damage in mice, a new study suggests. But the plastics industry says there is no cause for alarm.

As these products get reused, they start to leach BPA. The part that will make your hair stand on end is baby bottles. They are made of polycarbonate plastic. People who use them say that after just washing them in the dishwasher they see these same changes in the bottles. When we see bottles start to turn cloudy, they are leaching. And when they get sticky, they are giving off a lot of this stuff."
    The plastics industry says there is nothing to be alarmed about. Large studies of BPA show no effects on animals or on their offspring, says Steven Hentges, PhD, executive director of the polycarbonate business unit of the American Plastics Council. Hentges represents the makers of polycarbonate and BPA.
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 4:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• cont -
    Any plastic container that has a number 7 in the recycle symbol, may contain BPA.

As long as the bottles aren't heated to boiling (like in the microwave or dishwasher) then the BPA isn't released in toxic amounts."

I don't have the source for the quoted part any more because it was something I posted in a journal a while back. However, if you PM me, I'm sure that I could eventually dig it up. Another way to avoid BPA, is by using Playtex Drop-ins system, or something similar. On a side note, some of the Gerber food containers have a 7 in the recycle symbol, after a long phone call, I was assured that their containers (that I never heat anyway...what baby wants warn greenbean mush?) do NOT contain BPA. Hope this helps.
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 4:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2008