Breast feeding

Is there any way I can prepair to be able to breast feed. I tried with my first son but it hurt so bad, the pain was just too much to handle.. (my nipples are so sensitive).. any help and advice would be great!

BobbieJo286

Asked by BobbieJo286 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can read up on a lot of books. I know the pain is dreadful ( I have sedative nipples as well) That's the reason why I didn't breast feed my first. With my second I just dealt with the pain and it goes away completely after a couple weeks. My see a lactation specialist and get tips and after the baby is born have then show you how to properly place the baby on the breast. GL MAMA I hope things work out for you and good for you for trying to breastfeed!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• He probably was not latching right if it hurt that bad. Breastfeeding is not painful trust me, my nipples are super sensitive & it never hurt me. You can watch video's, i did that before breastfeeding. I watched a whole bunch of video's, it really helpedme prepare. I also had 2 midwives who breastfed all their children, so they had so much advice & tips for me. Although, it was so long ago, i can't remember. The only way you'll be able to do it is through Patience! Women who give up at the first sign of frustration just don't have the patience nesesary to breastfeed, which i think is sad. You HAVE to stay calm & just keep trying & trying. Here is a link to La Leche League. There is SO MUCH great information on this site!!!! It will really help answer a lot of your breastfeedign questions.

http://www.llli.org/

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:09 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• "Toughening up your nipples" doesn't work, according to many women who have tried it; it will just cause more pain than you're already in for. I've heard from some women who have tried that applying Lansinoh daily during pregnancy (and after birth) helps the most. But like others have said, it doesn't last forever, just a few weeks. In the long run, if you can get past that, it really is a lot easier than formula-feeding (I've done both, so speaking from experience).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:19 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Get lanolin and just try to make it through the first week and a half. The pain doesn't much longer then that I promise :)
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I had to use nipple shields. They worked better than dealing with the pain!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Yes, it hurts - for the first couple of weeks, when baby latches on the pain can be toe-curling. I BF'd both my kids, my nipples were very sensitive as well, they were latching on just fine. But it does go away. Just grit your teeth and count the days -- it gets much better!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Lasinoh and air drying. Most women get over initial bfing difficulties by 6 weeks; for me it was 7 weeks before nipple pain got better instead of worse then it eventually went away.

Some women have large nipples that the baby has difficulty with until they are a few weeks old. Some babies just need more practice and some have tongue tie issues that cause pain temporarily.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:13 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• don't use soap on your nipples; they are now self-cleaning.

When you sign up for classes (infant first aid/CPR, newborn care, etc.), sign up for the breastfeeding class - knowledge is power!!

Answer by rkoloms at 4:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Go to a La Leche League meeting in your area before baby comes!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Is there a breastfeeding class in your area that you can take? We just took one and it was amazing! I learned so much and left feeling so prepared!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 6:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2010