Divorce in the Military

My husband has decided he wants a divorce. He is in the army and we have one child together. Nothing has been filed yet so my question is ive been hearing that when we go through with this he(the army) will have to give me our BAH a month + child support + alimony if we go that route. I need to know from other's experiences with this. I'm really lost with this also it came out of left field the whole divorce, and no he doesnt want to work it out he says he is unhappy and there is nothing much we can do about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• BAH disappears once the divorce is final, BAH is for only married couples. Child support yes you'll get that. Alimony depends how long you guys were married and if you worked or were a SAHM. Have you tried talking to the legal department on base? They have a video and class that will help you with everything you want to know and someone there to answer all your questions
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I know all of this when I found out my hubby cheated and I wanted a separation and went to talk to legal on base where I'm at.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Go talk to legal on base, they'll answer all your questions, they see this stuff all the time. Dh had an issue with a landlord and seriously no one knew what to do, they all dealt with divorce and custody issues.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Alimony isn't automatic. There are state laws that dictate if you get that and mostly based on how long you were married and if you have a job. You can check your state statutes to see if you are even eligible for that.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2010