Can you die from detox if its done in a hosptial?

angie729

Asked by angie729 at 4:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Health

• Detox from alcohol is the most dangerous. It should only be done in a hospital-like setting. The person should have a doctor or nurse on the unit 24/7. Withdrawal from alcohol usually happens with medications, one usually to control seizures. People can die from alcohol withdrawal, if they are not being monitored, like detoxing at home or on the streets. When people detox off of other drugs they might feel like they are dying, and are uncomfortable, but the chance of dying from other drugs is relatively low.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 4:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Detox from what ?
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 7:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Detox from alchool...drank appx 20 beers a day for 20 years
    angie729

Answer by angie729 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• wow. you are in my prayers and I hope you succeed. If you need someone to talk 2 while you go through this I am here.
    momof319812007

Answer by momof319812007 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Wow i really admire you for wanting to quit! My mom died from alcohol. Yes detox can be dangerous. But I think if you are doing it in the hospital than you should be ok, they will keep a close eye on you! My mom detoxed at home once and had a seziure but was fine. So dont let that fear hold you back!!! Good luck!!
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 3:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2008