How should I get my daughter (18 months) off the binky?

For the most part she only uses it during nap and bed time now. I tried telling my husband we need to let her cry it out but he doesn't agree.

HolliBerry21

Asked by HolliBerry21 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We just did it this weekend with our son, and we were very successful! He is going to be 2 on August 3rd.

We talked about how binkys are for babies and how he'd have to give his paci up to all the other babies for a week. Then Friday we talked about it all afternoon, how there were no more pacis because we gave them to the babies. We put him to bed, and he whined a little bit, but every time he mentioned it I said "We gave them to the babies remember? You're a big boy now and you don't need a paci any more." He fell asleep in an impressively short amount of time all things considered. Then in the morning we gave him a special present and told him it was from that babies to say thank you for his pacis. Every time he plays with it he says "Thank you babies!" it worked like a charm!!!

Just deal with the crying and the whining and stick with it when you finally decide to do it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• If she only uses it for sleep, why do you need to take it away? My son is also 18 months and has been gradually using it less and less, all on his own. I don't see a reason to "take it away" when he is clearly weaning himself at his own pace. Both the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry states clearly that pacifiers are OK for most children until the first permanent teeth are coming in. Why rush it and make your child miserable?
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 5:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• just take it away.
    that doesnt mean she needs to cry it out. you can still comfort her. And her crying will stop after a day or two anyways.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• He is just a softy and can't take her crying...
    HolliBerry21

Comment by HolliBerry21 (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• just deal with the crying, it wont last forever!!! get her a new toy and throw them all away, cold trukey. its much better to deal with the crying then have dental problems.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• so when DOES he think it's appropriate to take it away from her? the day he has to pay for her braces?
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 5:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2010