Is anyone else amazed?

I keep reading post after post about how schools are asking parents to buy supplies, send extra supplies, pay for books, and even pay tuition for public school... Then today I'm reading about schools cutting out PE, Music, Arts and other classes...

We are in a "low income" area technically, and have a HUGE school district, one of the largest in the state... But NONE of this is going on here. You send your kids with a pencil and notebook - and frankly they get more from the school... There are no fees, no supplies to buy, and out Arts, Music and PE departments are the schools crowning glory... Sure, it's not prefect, but I am SHOCKED at what other districts are doing...

Anyone else really shocked by this stuff, or am I just spoiled?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in

• When I was in school we had a big supply list my mom had to buy every year plus pay workbook fees.
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 5:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• if you are truly in a "lo income" area thats why you dont have to send stuff-the STATE or local taxes pay for it. You are the only person I have ever heard say al they need is a pencil and notebook....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My kids attended private schools from K-12th grades, and then went on to state Universities. My son is currently attending a University of California campus. I am shocked at all that is provided and covered at the college level for what we pay (his yearly UC tuition is less than what we paid yearly for his HS). My son has free access to the gym, pool, weight room and all sports courts during he Summer- even if he's not attending classes (he is). And all we hear is about how broke the state of CA is-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Sabrina...we don't have that here either. Only the early education schools ask for things like boxes of tissues and those handi wipes. Some teachers ask for hand sanitizer, but it's things that the school doesn't provide that they go through like water at the PreK and K ages. I don't even have to buy crayons and notebooks. The school provides all of it for elementary students.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• We're paying for the SCHOOL"S supplies,not just those of our kid(s). Our budget is in the hole a million dollars this term!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I'm shocked as well. The things that are being cut out helps kids.If schools are like that when my kids hit school age , I'm just going to home school.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I'd say you've been spoiled. I know there are some states that still have "free" school, where you don't do anything but show up, but I've never lived in one. Both where I grew up and where I live now, you pay book fees, activity fees, bus fees, it adds up to a $100 or more per kid, plus extra curricular fees. You were also responsible for all your own supplies (and I really hate the new communist supply idea where half the kids bring 20 of everything, half bring nothing, and you basically supply everyone else's kids, while your kids are stuck with whatever cheap crap someone else sent).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Oh I should add...the elementary schools here use a special notebook, you can't buy it at the store.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I mean we are in a "low income area" - not in a city... But we are far from the projects or anything... Median income is like $60K or something here... Not high, but now super low... We get the same funding everyone else does from the state... And every house in the district pays $10 a year in school tax...

I've just honestly never heard of all this stuff... Even the schools around us don't have this stuff... I talked to some of my friends who live there, NONE of them have supply lists or anything...

I mean, you have to buy school clothes and stuff, but not these lists of supplies like I see posted here...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i don't have to buy anything for my daughter for school...they buy it all in bulk, and then we just have to pay 20-25 bucks within the first few weeks of school..pretty much nothing!!!!! they do it that way, because 1) its cheaper for everyone and 2)so that the kids aren't fighting/arguing on who has "cooler" things..so that the less income families kids, don't feel bad when they see the other kids have all the hot new and exciting stuff...i think its great!! one thing we do have to buy is a pair of indoor shoes for the kids...but, even that this year we don't have to because a local church is donating a brand new pair of indoor shoes for the kids!! my daughter goes to a public school..and luckily they haven't cut any thing outta the school curriculum

alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

Next question in
How much money do you spend on schoo clothes?

Next question overall (Health)
Red 'spots'