Why is Art and Music always to be cut first from a circulum due to lack of funds?

I think it's sad that schools always look to cut the creative subjects from the big picture. The students need to haveart and music as part of the learning process to see if they would like to pursue a career in art or music of some kind. It's good thing that organizations like the PTA have helped to keep art and music projects out there through various fundraising efforts and of course many dedicated volunteers who are PTA members.

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree. I think its important to have a balance between creativity and academia. Since being more creative my life has felt more fulfilling and I have felt more balanced. In my younger years I used to be academically focused...but not anymore. I still love learning but I make sure I balance out with being creative.

I think kids should too so I don't see why it would be the first thing cut - it is just as important if not more so to be creative.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:05 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• It's because they are considered "non-essential". Basically, if we had NO artists or musicians in our society we could still survive. But if we had a population of people who couldn't read, write, do simple math, etc, we'd be pretty screwed. I understand WHY they cut those programs, but I agree with you, that they ARE important and should be maintained if at all possible. Cut the football team before you cut the art class, IMO.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Because those are considered extras. While art and music are nice additions to a well rounded education, they are not essential for surviving in our daily world -as subjects like reading, writing and math. Few children are going to be talented enough to earn their livings in the arts, so the schools, wisely, teach to the majority. The basics are what survive when budgets are slashed.

Further, there are magnet schools in many areas that cater to those students talented and interested in pursuing the arts.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:08 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I think because if they cut Math or Science they wouldn't fit in to the prescribed curriculum of what kids need to learn. It's unfortunate! But if they HAVE to cut something, I would prefer it was something like music or arts - even though those were my big subjects - over math or english that kids need in order to do every day stuff...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:04 PM on Jul. 25, 2010