im trying to let my breast milk dry up

but it is killing me!!! it hurts sooo bad! how long does it take? it feels likes 2 hard rocks on my chest

amylynn4919

Asked by amylynn4919 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• depends but when i let mine dry up i had only barely breastfeed of and on for 2 weeks. took my milk 3 days to not be engored and hurt but they were still hard as rocks for about a week.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 6:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• have you been squeezing it out till it does dry up? you need to relieve it some way you cant just cut it off cold turkey and hold it all in
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• it varies from woman to woman and pregnancy to pregnancy- mine dried up too fast with first DD (she was only 4 months old then with second DD I was lactating until she was 3 (I had stopped breastfeeding though at 6 months- it dried up temporarily due to my allergy pills but came back too late to start breastfeeding again...)
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 6:09 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I had breastfed for 12 months, then cut half of my son's feedings, then finally stopped altogether one day. That was about ten days ago and they are pretty much back to normal now. I did notice that if I squeezed some milk out, they would become more engorged the next day. Maybe b/c milk is on a supply/demand flow?
    DarcyG

Answer by DarcyG at 6:09 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• If your child has reflux I would really try and continue to breastfeed. If you stop NEVER stop cold turkey or bind your breasts, clogged ducts and mastitis can occur. Good Luck!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 6:15 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• depeneds. With my first I nursed in the hospital, but once I got home it was hard and painful so I gave up and oh my gosh I thought I was going to die. It took 2-3 weeks to fully try. I remember thinking I was dried up so I would go without a bra look down and I'd be soaked lol. They would hurt so bad and feel hot to the touch I would go and let the shower hit them felt so much better, but with baby number 2 nursed 2 weeks then gave up cause I had to give her formula in between cause I had a problem with the epidural so I was in and out of the ER so she wouldn't latch on to the breast anymore so I gave up and my boobs didn't dry up until ablut a month with her, BUT my boobs weren't engorged and didn't hurt nowhere near how they hurt with my first maybe cause I nursed her longer I don't know, but I did take longer to dry up with her.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Sage pills or sage tea and crushed cabbage leaves in your bra will help
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My daughter self-weaned at 23 months; I never had any discomfort

Answer by rkoloms at 7:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2010