You win a substantial amount of money on the lottery but a relative who you dislike is in serious debt. Do you keep the money for yourself or help them out?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 6:40 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would go ahead and help them out because you never know when you might need their help and it's been said that if you help someone in need whether you dislike them or not or if you dont know them, you would b rewarded 10 times over again
    monetda123

Answer by monetda123 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• No big deal lol i have done that and i have not won .. So yes i would help out.. I am a giving person so like me or not i do my part to help others.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 6:45 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i know its a sin to be greedy and what not but no. id use the money for MY kids and MY family. i dont think id even give any to my sisters or my parents. but then again i was disowned from the family but thats a different issue. soo no.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 6:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Substantial amount like one million dollars? That isn't very much now days especially when you have to pay so much in taxes. The unliked relative could eat dirt.

Now $134 million... I would pay them to leave me alone. And make it clear it is a ONE time thing.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:43 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Depends on why I don't like them I guess. But blood relation means zilch to me (my daughter is adopted), so them being "related" doesn't give them more of a chance of getting something than anyone else that I don't like.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I personally would have to look at the circumstances. Has thei relative ever done anything for you. Are they a in-law. Is this persono good to your kids but you just don't like them. I really depends on why you dislike this person and if this person has ever done anything for you. If this person had done things for your family and youjust don't like them then I would put aside not liking them and help them out. Talk to your spouose and decide what would be a fair amount. Let them know this is a one time gift. Stay away from loans because that could cause even more problems. Then give the money and remember not to put expectation on how the money is spent or expect to get payment in return.

Now if this person has never done anything for you or your family, has caused nothing but trouble and is not a good person in general, I wouldn't lend them anymoney.
    Pudminkal

Answer by Pudminkal at 6:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Sure, I'd help the relative. You can't take the money with you, and charity begins at hope. I would probably figure out a way to do it anonymously though. If I truly don't like the person, I don't want him/her trying to be my "new best friend".
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I'd give them the money anonymously. Or take care of the debt anonymously, so the relative wouldn't have cause to think I was looking down on them.

Answer by Bmat at 6:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I'd keep it. The only person I think of in that situation is my younger sister, whom I really don't get along with. I would not give her one red cent.
    Azure

Answer by Azure at 6:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I think I'd take care of my owndebts first and then if I had anything left over, I'd think about helping out said relative.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Jul. 25, 2010