if i deliver naturally would i still have to get a shot for the stiches?

This is my first pregnancy. I was always under the assumption that all you have to do is delivery the baby. I recently found out that you have to deliver the placenta and get stiched back up. I do not want an epidural for the delivery because of this would i have to get a shot after the delivery for the stiches? I am watching i didn't know i was pregnant on tv and the girl said she had to get a shot to numb her for the stiches. would i have to get that too since i am not getting an epidural? and if i do have to where do they inject it?

alwaysthinking1

Asked by alwaysthinking1 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is a local anesthesia, only in the affected area, after delivery this will seem like nothing, you will be just fine!

Answer by older at 6:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Only if you tear when you deliver. And it's a local anesthetic.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Yes, but seriously...I'm sure you won't even feel the shot after the delivery. Best of luck! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:51 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i have three kids and they all where deliver natural....ok i had to get the shot in my leg with my frist child...and when u push out the placenta u do not get cut they push ur belly and u push it rite out...........oh with my second child he was 9lbs and i had to get an epidural and he still cut me a lil down there but when they stich me back up they still gave me the shot cuz i was still feeling pain........................GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATS ON UR BABY
    cookieplus3

Answer by cookieplus3 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• so there is a chance i wont rip or tear? my mother made it seem enevitable. lol (spelling)
    thanks!
    alwaysthinking1

Comment by alwaysthinking1 (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I assume that you only have to have stitches if you tear or if they do an episiotomy. Then in that case yes, they do give you a local anesteshia(sp)
    MKSmom09

Answer by MKSmom09 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• yes there is a possibility that you will not rip or tear. With my 3rd child I delivered him with no tearing and no episiotomy. I would check with a local midwife for some things that you can do to prepare your body to keep that from happening. My parents told me about using olive oil as a massage down there to assist. According to my mom it is a great couple's bonding thing.
    MKSmom09

Answer by MKSmom09 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• You can still tear or rip,it may not be bad enough to warrant stitches.The shot is lidocaine,like you get for stitches elsewhere. An epidural requires a numbing shot,but thats at the site of the numbing. Vaginal tears have nothing to do with the epidural. Shots for the stitches are injected into your vagina.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• There are things that you can do to decrease your chances of tearing. Perineal massage is the method that I used. I had a very minor tear after a completely natural birth. It only required 2 stitches. The numbing shot is given right at the affected region and I did not feel it at all. You will be surprised how pain free you are from endorphins and adrenaline after giving birth. Best wishes!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 7:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• You only need stitches if you tear. Plenty of women don't tear and don't need stitches.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2010