Did anyone else plan on spanking before they had a child...

only to change their mind, once they had one?

I think spanking is fine as long as it never crosses the line to abuse, and I was spanked as a child with no ill feelings for it at all towards my parents. Before having a baby, I was sure I'd spank.

Now..even though, he's only 10 months, and obviously not old enough to be spanked, even when he's older, I don't think that I'll ever be able to do it. It's just one example of how you can't plan everything out before the baby, lol.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 7:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I always thought I'd spank, but now that I'm a mother I know that spanking is NOT an option for me. I could never intentionally inflict pain upon my precious daughter. There are better, non-corporal ways to discipline children.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i always knew i would never spank. i dont want to teach my kids violence, and i really just dont want to cause physical harm to them, ever for any reason. i think theres better ways.
    but im actually the oppisite, sometimes when he doesnt listen to me, he bites me, or he hits me - i find myself ready to spank him back as a reaction cuz ive always had an anger problem.. but i have to control myself and tell myself not too.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:14 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Never was an option for me.

Answer by older at 8:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• when i was younger i vowed i wouldnt do it just cause my parents went overboard with it and practically beat me sometimes. not like oh spank spank but like get on top of me and punch me in the face and i said id never raise my hand to my child. i only spank if its really needed. and nits ONLY on the butt.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 7:13 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I planned on it, but I just can't do it.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 7:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• we talked about and said we would if needed, but now i dont think my hubby will be able to since she has him wrapped around her finger! lol
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• the day will come when you will want to, and by that point, they will be too old.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My spouse and I agreed that we did not want to teach our child that hitting solves problems.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:04 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Oh, bother. I was spanked and am not wounded in any way. My kids have been spanked, and they're not wounded either. They don't get spanked often, because for us, it has meaning, and it works.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• No but now that I have them I do spank. I actually never wanted to.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2010