"Migrants sell up and flee Arizona ahead of crackdown"

By the way THAT is the yahoo title.....the story goe on to talk about the ILLEGALs leaving..."Everyone is selling up the little they have and leaving," said Villasenor, 31, who is headed for Pennsylvania. "We have no alternative. They have us cornered."

The two women are among scores of illegal immigrant families across Phoenix hauling the contents of their homes into the yard this weekend as they rush to sell up and get out before the state law takes effect on Thursday.

It makes being an illegal immigrant a state crime and requires state and local police, during lawful contact, to investigate the status of anyone they reasonably suspect of being an illegal immigrant.

The U.S. government estimates 100,000 unauthorized migrants left Arizona after the state passed an employer sanctions law three years ago requiring companies to verify workers' status using a federal computer system.

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_usa_immigration_arizona

So the question.......do you think this is a GOOD thing? It seems like the law is doing what it was designed for...giving consequences for those who are BREAKING THE LAW and giving them the shot to leave and come back the right way OR be punished. What do you think??

momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• said Villasenor, 31, who is headed for Pennsylvania

what a minute...what? why are they coming here?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:20 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I don't know if it's a good thing necessarily as they even say they are just heading for other states. It's not like they are going back wherever they came from.

I just want to know if I'm the only person in this country who thought they already checked immigration status with reasonable suspicion before they enacted this new law. I seriously thought it was one of the main deterrents for not getting arrested, you know?
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 7:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Well, Mexico doesn't want them back. Mexican officials have actually complained that the immigrants re-entering Mexico is causing a drain on their society.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:35 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Xynyth- when my dh who is a leo arrests someone and they have no documentation to prove that they are here legally he can't act on that information.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 7:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• See, that's so strange to me. I really thought it was just automatically done. Naivete on my part I guess.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 7:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• what a minute...what? why are they coming here?

***
    Seriously!! With any luck they'll end up in Northampton county....as you know DA Morganelli "LOVES" the illegals!! LOL :o) More than likely they'll end up in Allentown, a sanctuary city. *UGH*
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Nah they'll come up here to NYC which is a huge sanctuary city.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 7:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Good, then thats what every state needs to do. There are plenty of sanctuary cities who will welcome them if they don't want to go home.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Funny... sounds like the AZ law is working. So, if the fed actually enforced the fed law then they would have fled the US. Guess this shows the fed is not enforcing fed law like they keep claiming.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 9:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2010