His family wanted to take him w.o a car seat. Should I feel bad?

My son is 4 months old and his grandparents were going to the store around the corner and wanted to take him. They tried to take him riding on their lap. I just don't feel comfortable and I said "no" to it but I said it nicely. I feel bad for saying no but that truck has airbags and if someone were to hit them, it could hurt my baby. I'm not picky on who is with my baby but I just don't want something to happen.

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You have nothing to feel bad for.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 4:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• i think you made the right chose i would have done the same ting i probably would have had a hard time being nice about it period because that is retarded to take a 4 mo w/o a car seat my ex-in laws wanted to take my daughter at 2 with no carseat and i flipped out on them, you were being a good mother and protecting your child if they have a problem with that to bad
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 4:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• they wanted to do WHAT?? with a 4 MONTH OLD?? thank God you said no. #1 that's illegal, #2, ANYTHING can happen "just around the corner". i think it's 80% of car wrecks happen within 30 miles of the home (i think that's the percentage, if not, i know it's high) you have nothing to feel bad about, you were totally right on this one!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• No. Do not feel bad. Your child NEEDS to be in a car seat. It is ridiculous that they would even offer to take him without one. What if they got into a car accident, your baby could be hurt, or worse. Be proud that you did what was best for your baby.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 4:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Don't feel bad. They need to understand that the laws change. When they were parents, no one thought twice about it. There were also far fewer cars on the road and the drivers were better trained. There are many, many more accidents now and car seats are the law. They need to understand and accept that.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• there's no reason for all the freakouts. the grandparents come for a different generation. perhaps a little understanding would take you a long way from such an angry attitude. just wait till you are grandparents and see what your kids say to you.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 4:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• You are a good mom. Next time offer to put YOUR car seat in their car. No problem with that!
    amandallamas

Answer by amandallamas at 4:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• You? Feel bad? HELL NO!

At the very least, you saved them from a ticket and possible child endangerment charges that could keep them from seeing their grandchild. At the very worst, you kep your child from being killed in an accident.

Baby in car seat. No less than that.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• And just one more thought about them being from a different generation...

Mine were also from a different generation. I certainly didn't ride around in a car seat. But my parents knew darned well: My baby, my rules. And they never even considered taking our son without a car seat. They bought one of their own!

Answer by gdiamante at 4:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• You did the right thing to say no. Most car accidents happen close to home... you never know when it might happen!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:44 PM on Oct. 2, 2008