Does anyone else feel like "applying" to be in groups on here is a little pretencious?

I've been trying to find groups that talk about the specific things that I like and would find useful, but sometimes it really bugs me when I have to give a reason why I am right for a group, or if I'll follow the rules. I feel like it's sort of demeaning. I mean for the most part the women on here are grown-ups and if we're not following the rules maybe we have some growing up to do. I understand the "apply" button just so they can make sure we're members of cafemom or whatever, but some of the other questions will make me turn away from a group even if I'd like to join because I feel like they're starting the group out with judging even if that's one of there "rules".

MamaSarah1104

Asked by MamaSarah1104 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Yea i see what you mean, I once felt like I had to give personal information just to prove why I wanted to get in, lol. The thing I hate most are the groups that apply a time limit. If you haven't been active in so many months, you either log in or get booted. I have groups though that I like having but I just don't have anything to talk about right now.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 7:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I think it's there so that the group owners and admins can try to weed out the drama queens and phishers.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• yeah i agree. ive tried to join a few groups and whenever i have to explain myself i just change my mind, because i really dont have time for that and dont need to explain myself to join a silly group on cafemom
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• If you are new, you have NO idea the drama that can go on around this place. It gets crazy intense sometimes. I can see why the group owners would want to keep some of the ahem, well, neverminds out.

You'll see.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I understand about needing rules and asking why someone wants to apply for a certain group. I do agree that there is groups that go overboard.
    blessedmama4

Answer by blessedmama4 at 8:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i agree
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 7:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i agree with cindy
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• For the ones I have to give a reason for why I want to join,I skip those. I don't like to be put on the spot for a group I don't even know if I'll like or not!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• What Cindy said.
    ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 7:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• but i do agree that certian groups like mom to mom advice stuff like that you shouldent have to apply for, some times you need and answer fast, some times they dont accept you for a few days
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2010