Would you legally change your name?

My dh is contemplating changing his name legally. He has always gone by his middle name, because he has his fathers first name as his first name and they didnt want to have 2 Jeffs. (I personally have no idea why his parents would do something like that, to me it seems ridiculous to name your kid something you dont want to call him). Anyways, he is wanting to legally switch his first and middle name. I think he should do it, but some of our family seems to think otherwise. What would you do?

Morgs7531642

Asked by Morgs7531642 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• it's his name and if he really wants to do it then he should be able to. He can always change it back if he later decides to. I personally wouldn't change mine though.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 7:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• he's gone this far in life with it as it is, the only ones that will call him by it are telemarketers and stuff like that. i don't see it as a big deal really.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My husband has the same issue with his name. He figures its too big of a hassle to change it now.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i always hated my name growing up. i thought who names there kid sandra anyways! but now i think nit fits me and i dont think i can bring myself to change it. i think its mostly b/c i have a new last name and im no longer Sandra D. im sandra B :D
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 7:57 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• you can change your first or middle name without going to court (well at least before 9/11)..you just start using the form you want and stay with that name. Now SSA is getting weird about changing names on SS cards now..used to be you got your driver's in your new name, then ss card change, the bank and credit cards...but it sounds like he might be able to just start signing his new way and leave his stuff the same without a problem...same last name~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 8:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I actually DID legally change my name! I had always gone by the name "Lori," which was a shortened version of my birth name. I officially changed it shortly before i got married--figuring since I'm changing my last name, why not change the first name. Besides, my birth name was ALSO my mother's name..and I was the FOURTH woman in the family with the same name--my mother is the only one who actually uses her birth name in the formal sense--the other two women used their nickname and middle name!!

Apparently originality wasn't a trait in my family! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:05 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i would do it
    berlgirl1224

Answer by berlgirl1224 at 8:13 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i would just to show that I am no longer a part of my paretns life or identity- they were abusive and I have always said that if I get divorced I will not go back to my maiden name, I would change my first if I really wanted to
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 8:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I would and we have. My husband wanted to change our last name. I'm still not sure why. But, anyway, we did the paperwork, went to court and got it done, us and the kids. We all had the same last name to begin with, and now we all have a different one. His mom disowned us, supposedly, but I think she forgot, because she stopped ignoring us. Ultimately, it's not up to his family, it's his name and he can do with it what he wants. The judge does not ask for mommy's permission, kwim?
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2010