Getting my son to sleep in his own crib.

We are very guilty of co sleeping but my son had been adjusting to sleeping in his crib very well. He gets his meal, bath and then I breastfeed him. He gets put into his crib awake but will shortly go to sleep.
Recently he cries and cries and stands up in his crib and I can't get him to settle back down. My heart breaks at the cry it out method but he will cry for an hour. So I go check on him and tell him I love him and try to soothe him but he won't go to sleep or lay down. He just stands or sits. He is 10 months. What can I do?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know how that is we just got our son to do the same thing but when he starts crying instead of the cry it out method try rocking him or singing to him he will get soothed and feel safe and go to sleep i sometimes have to do this with my son of if he is teething give him some tylonel and then breastfeed him it will help sooth the pain on his gums and try rocking him to sleep during that time and see how that works.
    mommy2b924

Answer by mommy2b924 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Oh I feel for ya momma! My kids always slept in their own cribs. Their crib was in my bedroom from birth to about 4/5 months. After that their crib was moved to their room. At first they are upset due to not being able to see you whenever they want. But that will pass. I would play a radio put on a classical/soft rock station put really low (for noise). They will learn to self soothe, it breaks your heart, but it will pass, it just takes time.
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• why are you guilty about cosleeping? babies is separate beds and roms is a modern concept. it breaks your heart for a reason. why do you want to stop? if it aint broke don't fix it. i am a proud cosleeper. my baby tells ME when its timr for bed and WANTS to sleep. We all get sleep. we do have a crib sidecarred for extra space. if you must do something read this first

/drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html">http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Are you sure he's actually tired when you're putting him to bed? That's typically the main problem when DD fights me to go to bed. If she's crying for more than about 5-10 min I'll usually let her get up and hang out with us longer (read, play with toys, etc). I don't know how anyone could handle the 'cry it out' for an hour. That would drive me crazy.

If he's really staying up too late (later than you want to stay up), consider waking him earlier in the morning or shortening naps a little bit so he's more tired at bed time.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 1:16 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I am going through this same thing right now. Mine is almost 7 months and I LOVE having him in bed with me but he is very active and after the 4th time of falling off the bed you tend to say IT'S TIME! We have always had a crib just never felt it was necessary to put him in it until now. Today is the only day that we have been trying hardcore. It isn't going well so far =( It takes about 2 hours of him crying before he finally passes out and then he is asleep for only a short time. Bring on the tips momma's, it sounds like a few of us need em! And good luck hun, do let me know if anything works for you!
    vampiremommy1

Answer by vampiremommy1 at 8:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2010