Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What are the dangers of spraying pesticides in your house?

I live out in the country. My neighborhood is surrounded by acres and acres of woods to one side, cow pastures to another, and the lake as well. Needless to say, we have an abundance of weird bugs, most of which know their place is outside. Spiders do not get it tho and we kill them daily in our house. We have someone spray the outside of our house every 3 months, and tomorrow they are coming to spray. My husband wants them to spray inside as well. I am not on board at all with this even if the chemicals they spray are "approved", they are still a systemic pesticide. That doesn't sit well with me. I googled and really found nothing, so i'm asking for help from you ladies....what are the dangers of spraying your house? Most of the articles I found had to do with pesticides on food. Thanks.

 
momjoy1027

Asked by momjoy1027 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 18 (5,460 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • From Toddler 411:
    "If you have to use pesticides, it's probably wiser to set traps or treat the outside of the house that to use an insecticide spray...indoors. The insecticide residue can collect on upholstery, rugs, and stuffed animals"

    That part about it collecting on stuff is why I would not spray inside.

    I found this, you might try some of these ideas that maybe you haven't thought of

    http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-spiders.htm
    Christina807

    Answer by Christina807 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

  • other than pesticides are poisons and even a small amount can cause you to get sick. . . they can absorb into your skin too. . . again causing illnesses etc.
    Kirs

    Answer by Kirs at 9:05 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

  • smalls amounts even in a minimal state over time can build up and cause great ailments. . . and in small pets and infants can cause death. . . especially if ingested or inhaled. . .
    Kirs

    Answer by Kirs at 9:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

  • OK, I do not mean to alarm you in any way & I will give you my opinion and my experience. My parents had their trees and shrubs sprayed regularly by a professional tree spraying company. One day they came to spray, & my bedroom window was opened. I went to close it and realized that they were spraying right on top of my rabbit hutch. I ran out with the poison dripping from the trees to rescue my rabbit. We both got soaked. My bunny later died from something that attacked his nervous system where he could no longer stand up. I don't know how often he was exposed to the spray since I was in school during the day. I tried many many years to conceive a child resulting with many miscarriages. 13 years into my marriage I did IVF and PGD & discovered 90% of my eggs contained abnormalities. This is my actual experince. I would NEVER use pesticides. Please do more research. BTW the man who owned the company died young too, he sprayed.
    ILovemyPaulie

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

  • As long as you aren't spraying your food or dishes directly, there is no harm. Ask your bug guy about the type of bug spray he is using and see if it is pet safe or if you have to remove your pets from the house while he sprays.

    My husband and I use the Ortho Pro Max Home Defense inside and out at our house, and it's good for up to 12 months. We pick one day every 6 months to take the dog out for a fun day at the park, and spray. Of course, we also have a toddler, so she can't be in the house and gets to go enjoy the dog park too.

    Good luck with the bugs! I know how you feel living in the country and having a billion nasty little creatures trying to invade your privacy :)
    Vashtiruescode3

    Answer by Vashtiruescode3 at 9:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN