my son is in a phase where he drags bedtime out for HOURS!

he's 3 years old. he's had phases like this before that last a couple of weeks but then he'll get back to going to sleep pretty well for a couple of months.

well this phase has been going on for about 3 weeks and it's even harder because we have an 11 week old and i just went back to work full time last week ***yawn***

he tries all the tricks from "cover me up again", "i have to go potty", "i need a drink of water". lol. but mostly he just keeps playing and playing in his room and will not go to sleep!!!! and even if he is awake super late, he's still awake at 6 am.....

ADVICE??? he generally sleep from like 8pm to 6am

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Isn't this the tough? Don't despair. Your little guy just needs to feel like he has a little more control in his life so he doesn't have to take it all from you at bedtime. Try reading these 2 article on my blog site:
    1. http://headandheartparent.com/2009/12/31/love-and-logic-how-to-get-my-kid-to-stay-in-bed/
    2. http://headandheartparent.com/2009/12/14/love-and-logic-how-do-i-get-my-kids-to-brush-their-teeth/
    and be sure to get my Free parenting Report while your on my site with 3 more effective strategies to get your kids to cooperate and go to bed! Good luck. Let me know what you try and how it works.
    LoveLogicCoach

Answer by LoveLogicCoach at 10:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• It sounds like you need to put your foot down and let him know that you will not stay in his room. Try giving him three reasonable wishes until you leave... a glass of water, a hug, blanket adjustment. Three things, no more. Tell him that you will not be going back into his room after that. When you have done three things, leave the room and do not come back. If you do, he will be the one in charge, not you. Stick to it!
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Omg...my son is sorta that way, but I don't give into any demands unless its potty related. He is firmly told to go back to bed and sleep, it usually takes one swat on his bottom, and off he goes. He whines, but goes, and eventually falls asleep. Maybe he needs more activity during the day to tire him out. My son is 3 1/2, and if doesn't burn off all that excess energy during the day, he's wild at night. Luckily his pre-school yr is about to start, he'll be going 5 days a week. From never having been in a school setting before (except for safari class, 1 day a week a yr ago)! Yaaaaaaaay!
    Its been hot here almost all summer, so I don't let my kids outside much, so I let them burn their energy inside by playing tag, hide and seek, etc. Or going to an indoor mcdz playplace for hours!
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 9:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I have been going through that with my two year old as well. She does not like to sleep in her bed now & she wants to stay up & watch TV or have snack or what have you... Have you tried to rock him or sing him to sleep or have soft music playing? I hope that this helps you...
    MamaNikki2010

Answer by MamaNikki2010 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Wow I can relate there. My youngest is almost 10 and he will do that.He will keep comming out of his room to give kisses or get a drink of water or whatever else he can think of to waste time before actually going to bed.I usually just put my foot down and tell him if he does not get into bed and stay in bed that he will loose something that he likes.I know it's alittle different for a 3yr old but maybe it will work.I have a baby on the way anyday now as well so I will really be putting my foot down more.He does have karate class twice a week so that tires him out as well those nights.Maybe you son does need alittle more activity during the day like MSully3 mentioned.Anything is worth a try.
    butterfly7909

Answer by butterfly7909 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I tell my 4 and 6 year old that the Department of Labor says Mom's can't work after 9pm. It's the law. I can do anything (and we certainly do, don't we?) before that however bedtime stuff, including reading and cuddling had to be before 9pm. You need to stick with it and Dad does too.

I let the kids read or having music on, even a story read to them (quiet audiobooks) however unless they have to go potty, they are not to leave their room. Someone said they made a chart and when he has a week straight of "easy" bedtime (or whatever) be extremely proud and promise a trip to store/park -whatever. good luck!
    SuzyQMI

Answer by SuzyQMI at 11:00 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• He's dragging bedtime out because you're letting him. Have a consistent bedtime routine and stick to it. Read a story, say prayers, tuck him in, kisses, turn out the light and that's it. He's not going to die because of dehydration or because his blanket his crooked. He's playing you, plain and simple.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:22 AM on Jul. 26, 2010