argh!! millipedes!!

our rental is in the country, with tons of very tall trees/evergreens all around, so i know we can't escape all the bugs...but cheese and rice! i'm so sick of seeing these little black crawlies!
we had the house sprayed, and it seemed to reduce the millipedes quite a bit...for about a week. any thoughts/suggestions? (we can't have the exterminator out every month.)

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 9:08 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• are you sure they are millipedes or are they centipedes. . . we have tons of them and borax is a good repellent and insecticide and is natural. . . otherwise you might want to try a wormwood "tea" spray to kill 'em off. . . just make sure you don't breath in the steam as you make it as wormwood is toxic to inhale.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 9:14 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• If memory serves me right,they live off of rotting vegatation. get rid of any plants,trees,decorative wood chips,etc close to the foundation around the hose.If the vegatation is holding in water,they'll be there eating the stuff.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Oh great...the house old, I'm sure there is rotted vegetation all around us, as 'our' property sits low and there is nothing but dense forest all around it. Its the 'dirty south', lots of wet, humidity, and vegetation. I'll check into kirs tea.
    Thanks, ladies!
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Thank ladies
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Hmmmm I might see if there was a bug spray that I could use from Lowes or Home Depot or something.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2010