Just diagnoised BIPOLAR , now my husband wants a divorce?

I was just recently diagnosed bipolar and my husband says he don't know what else to do for me,and he doesn't love me like he should, but I think he wants a divorce, and its killing me.

mommie1995

Asked by mommie1995 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Relationships

• Has he SAID he wants a divorce? Don't put words into his mouth. First thing, take care of YOU. Bipolar disorder can be controlled so do that. Then see how things look.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• No he did not say Divorce but that's What i fear I think because he said to me I don't love you like i should.
    mommie1995

Answer by mommie1995 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Bipolar doesn't mean a life-time sentence. Oftentimes, it has a lot to do with past hurts that have not been properly dealt with. Sometimes, it has to do with anger that has not been properly expressed. I understand your husband's frustration at not being able to help you, but I surely don't think you should give up on your marriage. Maybe you could just reassure him that you won't always be the way you are right now. There is real help available, but it is difficult to locate it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:47 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I would appreciate any help available, I do not want to loose my marriage, I do try to reassure him i will get better, I also have epileptic seizures.
    mommie1995

Answer by mommie1995 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I agree that he needs the reassurance that you won't always feel the way you do and that said with medications and time, you will feel alot better eventually. It won't happen over night or even in a week, but it will happen. It's a daily struggle and especially for those who love us who don't have bipolar but deal with our issues. remind him of how thankful you are to have such a strong man in your life that is willing to stand by you through all of this, he needs to hear it just like we do. Good luck with your family and your Bipolar Disorder, you AREN'T ALONE!!
    Anonymous

• Don't put fear in the mix of everything else. Get the help you need first and just worry about you. Hopefully your husband is just scared and isn't really meaning what he's saying. The good thing is you now know what your "problem" is so now you can go about finding a way to deal with it. Some people go their whole life without even know what the issue is to begin with.

I do hope your husband continues to support you and I hope all is well. Blessings!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 5:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I too was diagnosed with bipolar...it can be devasting on a relationship. But, it's not a reason to end it...you can fix things especially if you are getting help for your bipolar. Are you taking any medications? Are you doing counseling? If you are doing everything you can and he wants to end it you are better off without him. Bipolar is a long bumpy road and you have to be in a relationship with someone that is willings to listen, learn and help...not leave.
    Anonymous

• OH yah...bipolar has NOTHING to do with past "hurts" or past issues that have been delt with. It's a chemical imblance...Do your research before you post something ignorant.
    Anonymous

• I am taking meds and I am searching for good christian counseling now but I am not having much luck.
    mommie1995

Answer by mommie1995 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• A chemical imbalance that can be triggered with the thoughts of past issues or even present, not meaning the soul cause. But there are things that trigger me to be even more upset and make my symptoms act up. I didn't feel that the post was "Ignorant" at all.. Maybe you are for not considering that feelings have nothing to do with bipolar.????
    Anonymous