All new to me

This might sound wierd but I have two kids(boys) already that are ages 14 and 10.I am currently pregnant again with a little girl and my due date is July 29th.It's been so long since I have been thru this so it's almost like its all new to me again.The part that is new is the end of the pregnancy.I was induced both times with my boys and it's looking like I might make it till my due date with this lil girl.I don't know what to expect when my water breaks and all that.Drs broke my water with the boys.My appointment this past Friday went ok.They checked my cervix and could only fit finger tip in and feel her head but they said the cervix is softened.She swabbed the inside of me to make sure I was not leaking fluid and said that she is only getting mucas which is normal.Does that mean my plug is breaking little at a time?How bad is it when your water breaks on it'sown?Anyone got advice for me?

butterfly7909

Asked by butterfly7909 at 9:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• my water broke first! its like a gush of water but its not going to like splatter on the floor or anything like it does in movies! all i can say is u know when it happens! i broke my mucus plug 2 days before my water broke it was a little brown thing and with 2 drops of blood. my labor was 14 hours even tho my water broke first! good luck! girls are fun!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i'm happy i was with my mama when my water broke. I said "mama, i'm still peeing and i'm not even trying" she was like "your water broke, you dummy" then we rushed to the hospital.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• When your water breaks, you just feel a gush of fluid. If your cervix has softened your baby is in position to be born. It begins to soften several days to a two weeks before labor begins.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• ..of course i was on the toilet. i didnt feel a gush or anything like some people say they feel until i got up and then there was some wetness but nothing major..i think it all went in the toilet. i lost my mucus though about 3 wks before
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• You sound just like me I have a 13 and 11 year old boys.  I just had a little girl she is 8 months.  It was all new again.  I went through both.  My water broke with one son and I have been induced.  It wasn't painful when my water broke.  I was sleeping and heard a pop, I thought I was peeing my pants.  I leaked all the way to the hospital.  It didn't hurt when the water broke.  Hard labor just started faster.  You will be fine the labor wasn't any more or less painful either way.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• the water breaking isn't a bad thing imo. with my first birth, my water broke before labor, and it was just a trickle of fluid here and there, and my labor started up immediately after that.
    w/ my 2nd, my water broke very near the end (after being in labor for a few hours), about half an hour before the baby was born, and it was a big gush with every contraction.

to me it sounds like everything is normal with you and you can expect to have your baby within the next couple of weeks. GL!!!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Thanks so far for all the advice.My due date is in 4 days and they already said they are not going to let me go past 41 weeks.I have been having little contractions for the last couple weeks but not getting any stronger and really surprised my cervix is not alittle more ready then it is.
    butterfly7909

Comment by butterfly7909 (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My water broke with my oldest and I didn't even realize it until I laid down. His head was blocking my cervix so when I would stand up he kind of "plugged" up my cervix so no water would come out. It didn't hurt at all. The only main difference is that when your water breaks first your contractions seem stronger, only because there isn't a "cushion".

Good luck and congratulations on your little girl!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 9:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

oh your cervix will be ready when it's time. it can be totally "hard" and "closed" and then you could have the baby 5 hours later. you never know. i was 1 cm at like 3 pm and then my son was born at 6:45 pm.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My water started leaking before it broke all the way.

I will tell you I thought I had peed on myself, but I couldnt stop it, and every time I stood up, it did a little again. It became more and more until finally it really ruptured.

Good luck :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2010