horrible birthdays

Today was my birthday and it was absolutely ridiculous! My husband did not get up until 12 which is early for him then griped at me for allowing our son to scream out his temper tantrum. No one came over to see me because no one likes hearing my son scream and there is literally no form of discipline that works and the dr says he is fine and just needs to work through it (son is 2) my own mother wont come over bc we are fighting about how she wont help with my son or give me advice. We tried to go out to dinner and couldn't even eat bc of my son's temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way. Since my husband was mad he invited his friend over and they proceeded to leave me here. My husband doesn't ever seem to care about my birthday or anything that should be special to me and I think after this year I'm just not going to bother trying to celebrate or hope to celebrate anymore. Sorry, just needed to vent...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• What a sorry bunch you have! You should call a sitter and take yourself out for a nice meal and a glass of wine.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• :( I'm so sorry you had a sucky birthday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! it sounds like your son might have some emotional or behavioral problems. yes 2yos have alot of temper tantrums but if they're as bad as u make them seem and often then it might be something else. it sounds like your husband is at 2yo as well, i would kick him in the nads for treating u like that on your birthday!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 9:27 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Oh, what a crappy day hon. Happy Birthday to you! I think you should make this up to yourself. Tell dh you need some time and go and get your nails done, or a pedicure. How bout a spa treatment? If none of these fit into your financial situation then go get a new haircut at Supercuts or something,,oh and a latte from Starbucks. You need and deserve downtime specially on your b-day! Great big hugs birthday girl! :)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:27 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Happy Birthday Pictures, Images and Photos

today was mine too!!! i've just learned as ya get older not to expect too much. My dh was actually nice to me though. i'm sorry that you didnt have a nice day.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• You should def take one day this week to do something nice for yourself!!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• happy birthdaySorry about your day!

TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• sorry about your day...

Happy Birthday to you by Heaven`s Gate (John).

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• happy birthday!! sounds like you need a break, maybe your gift can be some time to your self. begin documenting your sons behaviors so that you can show the doctor at your next visit- sounds like something more maybe wrong.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Let me start by saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!Then let me say there is nothing wrong with your son...My little girl went through the same thing, so did the neighbors little girl upstairs.Our behavior therapist retrained ME...that's right me, not my DD.It was me not knowing how to handle the tantrums that was causing the problem.Our kids are always trying to GAIN ACCESS to something like our attention, candy, OR trying to AVOID something like a diaper change or bed.Think about a coke machine, you want that coke, you put money in and you get nothing,you put money in again and still nothing,you hit the machine, you kick the machine, you yell at and shake the machine because it has always given you coke until now. You've been programed that it will give you your caffeine and when it doesn't you escalate to try to make it do what it always has.This is like us with our kids...sorry have to continue in another answer...
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 10:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• ...when we reprogram ourselves the situation with them will escalate until they understand we mean what we say and we stick with it.4example:he wants candy,you say no,he pitches a fit, you give in..probably what normally happens;)NOW if you say no,he pitches a fit,you still say no,he screams louder and longer, you walk away while saying mommy says no candy until after dinner,he'll still be crying,but he will stop.He will continue to test the barriers periodically until he gets that the'coke machine'isn't going to give in.However,if there is a day when you are sick,pmsing,or whatever and you don't feel like continuing to say no for a day it is better to give him the candy the1st time then to undo all of the hard work you've put into 'reprogramming' by giving in after saying no.Hope this makes sense,it's easier to explain in person or over the phone than typing.Look up EARLY INTERVENTION in your state they can help:)Best wishes!
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 10:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2010