My mother in law has shingles.

how long do i get to, ahem, should I, avoid the house?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 9:28 PM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Health

• That stuff is nasty. Stay away until they dry up but to be sure call your doctor and ask.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:29 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• If you've had chicken pox or the vaccine,you're immune and have no excuse of contacting it for a reason to stay away. Hopefully she's unaware of immunity rules!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I've had chicken pox, but my baby is one year old and hasn't been vaccinated yet.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Are you pregnant? If you are, then stay away. Have you had the chicken pox already? If not, then stay away. If you are not pregnant and have already had the chicken pox , and are otherwise healthy, it is ok to be around someone who has shingles.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Do you like your MIL? If not, I would say until she is 100% cleared of them. LOL.

If you do like her: have you had chickenpox or the chickenpox vaccine? If yes, then you are good to go. If no, then she could give you chickenpox.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/infections/common/viral/574.html
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Why stay away? Have you had chicken pox? If you've had chicken pox it's no big deal. My husband is dealing with an outbreak of shingles right now. Our 6 & 7 yr old grandkids live with us. This is not his first outbreak since they've been with us. The Dr. told us clearly on those who have not had the chicken pox are at any risk, Even that is minimal. Shingles is horribly painfull.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i'm mostly worried about the baby.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Stay away whether or not your kids have been vaccinated often times the vaccine doesn't stop them from getting chjicken pox it just makes it so they get a more mild case.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 9:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• BTW..are you aware outbreaks can last from a few weeks to months and months?
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My mother just got over the shingles. I have an 8 month old baby. I made her stay away until they were gone. She didn't see the baby for almost 3 weeks. They are very contagious, and I want my baby to get the vaccination.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2010